White Van man to be studied....

Seth Haniel 16:26 02 Jul 09
  Forum Editor 18:09 02 Jul 09

I've failed to see the point of your post.

dagnammit 18:20 02 Jul 09

highlighting a news article for WhiteTruckMan?

:D

Colin 19:14 02 Jul 09

All I know about White Van Man from radio adverts is that they all sound like Ray Winstone. Why does a driver of a commercial vehicle have to speak with an East London/Essex accent and look hard?

Jim Thing 19:25 02 Jul 09

"Why does a driver of a commercial vehicle have to speak with an East London/Essex accent and look hard?"

And why do all the baddies in Western movies wear black hats?

Same reason — it's to help those who can't follow the plot.

laurie53 07:54 03 Jul 09

This is a deeply rooted psychological thing.

When I was part time taxiing a few years ago I sometimes used to get a "white van" job with a Ford Transit (it really was white!) ferrying stuff to various freight agents around Heathrow (from Aylesbury).

As soon as I got into that van I changed from an average normally courteous, generally law abiding driver into an aggressive, foul mouthed (and gestured!) lump of unpleasantness.

My wife and son once saw me taking a roundabout and didn't believe it was me!

Kevscar1 10:18 03 Jul 09

laurie53
Thats just your inner self finally showing. I have driven one for 15yrs and find that when I do something courteous other van and lorry drivers acknowledge it 90% of the time with car drivers it,s less than 50%

Quickbeam 11:51 03 Jul 09

Maybe there thinking about a 'white van man driver NVQ'. I kid you not...

Taxi/private hire drivers are now taking the taxi NVQ in anticipation of most local authorities requiring drivers to have it. New PSV/HGV drivers will be required to have a driver CPC (certificate of professional competence)from September, with existing licence holders being required to get one over the next few years.

JanetO 12:31 03 Jul 09

I think the wording "often unloved by motorists, pedestrians and regulators", means hopefully the more careless white van drivers would be given further training. I know our own WhiteManVan is a careful driver, just like my eldest daughter was when she was one, but some aren't. They shoot down our 20mph road at over 30.

peter99co 12:42 03 Jul 09

Maybe a thin end of a wedge for a complete new stealh tax.

Seth Haniel 12:43 03 Jul 09

you must be...

as other members have found it worth discussing ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple