White Horse of Kent

Grey Goo 21:27 10 Feb 09

So they are going to erect a 50 metre high White Horse alongside the A2 to overlook the proposed new town of Ebbsfleet. The Horse on the Kentish flag (Invicta)is rearing up on it's hind legs and does not look like it should be pulling a milk float. I wonder if upon completion a door will open in it's belly and an Army of invaders will emerge.

gardener 21:55 10 Feb 09

Or someone will put a giant-size Lester Piggot on it's back.

oresome 22:02 10 Feb 09

50 metres high! How big's the milk float?

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:16 10 Feb 09

The Angel of the North is a sculptor's idea of an angel and looks superb because it is abstract, especially in real life. This horse thing is a just a true-life copy with no imagination from the 'sculptor' and needs no thought or imagination from the viewer. I think it looks dreadful but I'll reserve final judgement until it is erected...if it gets erected.

G

anskyber 22:29 10 Feb 09

It singularly lacks imagination.

Forum Editor 22:51 10 Feb 09

Ditto to all of that.

Forum Editor 22:51 10 Feb 09

And to that.

Brumas 23:05 10 Feb 09

I don't think it would look half as bad if it wasn't wearing a bridle and planted solidly on it's four feet.The rearing white stallion, from the county flag, at least signifies spirit, life and movement. Grey Goo rightly observes it would look as if it would pulling a milk float, hardly the right image - dull, plodding and old-fashioned as opposed to vibrant, powerful and innovative.

Belatucadrus 23:18 10 Feb 09

What I want to know is in these days of recession and credit crunch, who's got the £2,000,000 to spare for such a monumental folly.
I have a sneaky suspicion that project manager Mark Davy has no answer to that question at the moment and that his comment
"There could be short-term funding problems."
Should be classified as an understatement of earth shattering proportions.

Monoux 07:56 11 Feb 09

The countries in recession, people are losing their jobs and many will lose their homes so lets spend £2m on a statue, the world has gone completely mad.

newman35 08:11 11 Feb 09

But there will be jobs for the builders doing it?

Just glad it's hundreds of miles from where I am, would hate to pass such a boring thing every day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…