Which of the recently announced new features in Windows 10 interests you?

PC Advisor 14:40 26 Jan 15

Last week Microsoft held a Windows 10 event in which it unveiled its Windows 10 Consumer Preview - you can relive the event here, or find out more about Windows 10 and Windows 10 on phones here.

We want to know which of the newly announced features interests you. Please vote in our poll.

wee eddie 21:07 27 Jan 15

No response for 30 hours. I think that many of the Public are Underwhelmed.

Of course there will be some that are eagerly awaiting the arrival of W10, but many of us have been dragged unwillingly from the WXP Interface. We could not care a monkeys what goes on behind the GUI and we expect Microsoft to keep it secure and update the guts from time to time.

Most of us are happy to pay for the internals to be updated. It's nice to be offered some new facilities now and again, but few of us really wish to have to go back to school every time the Gates's need a Sub.

My own feeling about the Metro Interface is that it is ugly and as a piece of marketing, naïve/gauche/product of an unsophisticated mind. That it works on a Tablet/Phone/Watch is of no interest to me. I want to be able to buy my new PC, Log in and get on with life.

As, I am pretty sure, do billions of others.

Quickbeam 09:01 28 Jan 15

I find that I've totally lost interest in new Windows versions as more of my web use becomes mobile based.

So long as I can use MS office and a few graphic programmes on what I have, I'm not changing anything...

Forum Editor 09:23 28 Jan 15

wee eddie

627 people have voted. Most people just vote and don't comment.It's always been like that.

Forum Editor 09:26 28 Jan 15

Quickbeam

The problem comes when a Windows version is no longer supported by Microsoft. At that point there's no guarantee that new software will run, or that device manufacturers will issue updated drivers.

Matt Egan 09:34 28 Jan 15

And further to FE's point: an upgrade today to Windows 7 or Windows 8 is an upgrade to Windows 10 and whatever lays beyond for the lifetime of your hardware. Arguably it is overdue but, now that PCs and laptops last longer than do software upgrade cycles and hardware is as fast as it needs to be, this can only be a good thing.

Forum Editor 09:45 28 Jan 15

**"That it works on a Tablet/Phone/Watch is of no interest to me. I want to be able to buy my new PC, Log in and get on with life. As, I am pretty sure, do billions of others."**

The first thing to say is that for huge numbers of people access to the internet, and in lots of cases to files, calendars etc. is via a tablet or a phone.

The second thing is that hundreds of millions of computer users have known Windows for the whole of their computing life; they've used computers since they were children. They are very familiar with the basic conventions that underlie all Windows versions, and have little trouble when a new one comes along - they sit at the screen and work it all out pretty quickly.

wee eddie 10:00 28 Jan 15

FE: That's why they all lover Windows 8.

I think that you and Matt have too much invested in the process of continuous upgrades, and the copy that that spins off, to see clearly what is happening.

Quickbeam 10:22 28 Jan 15

"...and hardware is as fast as it needs to be..."

That sums it up, the laptop I'm on now is perfectly OK with the versions of the programs that I'm running, so until the hardware packs up, I'm happy as it is.

Forum Editor 10:40 28 Jan 15

"I think that you and Matt have too much invested in the process of continuous upgrades, and the copy that that spins off, to see clearly what is happening."

Perhaps our involvement in the business of consumer computing enables us to have a clearer view of how most computer users react. Your specific experience is obviously valid as far as you're concerned, but don't make the mistake of assuming it's typical of "billions of others".

Clearly lots of people do not fall into the early adopter category, but that's nothing new - it has always been thus. You might remember the adverse reaction that greeted the launch of Windows XP, for example. What goes around comes around, and Microsoft certainly doesn't get it right every time. What the company has achieved in the past Twenty years or so is nothing short of remarkable however, when you think about the vast numbers of people to whom Windows is computing.

Quiller. 11:11 28 Jan 15

Because it's free, otherwise would not touch it ( pay ) with a bargepole.

I totally agree with wee eddie on his remarks re the magazines euphoria of yet again a new operating system. The same euphoria that has presented itself when every other windows operating system has been rolled out.

Then again, without regular new operating systems, the magazine would have little to fill it's pages. So many rubbing of hands when the announcement of a new windows shell ( er upgrade ) is imminent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…