which book would you like to see made on film?

Fred the flour grader 21:12 01 Apr 07

Hi guys, I have not started a thread like this before but, I have just finished another book by a favourite author of mine, Stephen Leather. I have read most of his novels and find his books hard to put down once I pick one up. I am not sure if anyone on the forum has read any of his books but, I would love to see his book titled "The Vets" made into a film, it would make a great movie.
What book would you like to see make it on to the big screen, and why?
Fred.

wiz-king 21:25 01 Apr 07

Please do not make any of my favourite books into films! They never come out as I read them - the places and characters all do not match with my views.
Alas, they have made Lord of the Rings into films and I have watched the first part and cannot bring myself to watch the rest. It was a good film but it was not the book I know and love.

€dstowe 22:22 01 Apr 07

I'm with wiz-king on this. Books should NEVER be made into films. All your illusions of characters, location and plot are ruined by the mere sight and sound of the film. Even if it happened that everything turned out right for you (extremely unlikely) there would be loads of other for whom it didn't work.

One of my employees said a few days ago: "The way to spoil a good book is to make it into a film. The way to ruin a good book is to have it filmed in America. The way to completely wreck a good book is to have it filmed in Hollywood by an Australian director."

Giant68 22:59 01 Apr 07

I agree, leave the books alone. I'd rather use my imagination to let the pictures form. I was heartily dissapointed by the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, good as a radio series, good as a book, but what on earth happened when they made it into a film???

Giant68

PurplePenny 23:03 01 Apr 07

Kev and I have watched the other two parts of LotR: you were right to avoid them.

wolfie3000 03:11 02 Apr 07

Should be made into a film or hopefully the three books,

Peter Jackson was going to make the film but cant get backing for it. :(

I am hopeing that if he does make the film it will be from the three books (The flood, First strike and The fall of reach)

Fingers crossed the film is made.

Watchful 07:50 02 Apr 07

of them. I prefer to let my imagination provide the visuals.

laurie53 08:54 02 Apr 07

Anyone who believes that books can be made into films should hark back to Ian Fleming.

The James Bond books were (are) rattling good adventure dramas which were thoroughly believable in the context of the times.

The films are just pieces of special effects hokum, which bear absolutely no relation.

And what about the Jungle Book? If you've ever read the very moving and often sad book you'll realise what a travesty the cartoon is.

Laurie

Belatucadrus 11:47 02 Apr 07

Some of Michael Moorcocks Sci Fi/fantasy books would make excellent movies. The History of the Runestaff series would be extremely dramatic, but also very very expensive even with CGI, it would also need at least three films and without the sort of built in audience that LOTR had, nobody would ever commit to them.
Looking at the movies due it seems that if it didn't come out of Marvel or DC comics then it isn't likely to get a look in.

Z1100 12:27 02 Apr 07

"Northern Lights", "The Subtle Knife", "The Amber Spyglass"

Hanx!
K.

Belatucadrus 12:56 02 Apr 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…