Which is best for controlling speeding?

WhiteTruckMan 01:52 25 May 07

The radar controlled cameras that we have all learned to know and love so well, or the radar controlled illuminated signs that I have noticed seem to be quietly appearing on the scene?

I've been noticing them for a while now but what has prompted me to ask is seeing one on the bradford ring road just as you come off the motorway and head west. Its unusual in that the road is a full blown dual carrigeway but its a 30 limit. I have watched a gaggle of cars zoom past me then without exception they all brake when the sign lights up reminding them of the speed limit. It seems to me that its far more effective at cutting speeding. which is (should be) the main aim, not generating revenue.

Of course, there will always be someone to whom the answer is a radar controlled gatling gun, but what do you think?

WTM

rdave13 02:07 25 May 07

In our locality near each school there is that radar controlled illuminated sign that warns you that you must drop your speed to 30, or whatever, and gives you ample visual warning so that you know that you'll not be braking the law and that you'll be driving to the safe bounderies expected at that time of day.
Excellent deterrent to over speeding without threat and looks like most drivers automatically slow down just to get the warning lights to turn off. Good post WhiteTruckMan.

wiz-king 05:24 25 May 07

We had a sign that flashed up your speed if you were over the limit but it soon got altered when the powers that be realised that the local youfs were using it as a toy, seeing how high they could get the numbers to go. Now it only flashes up the '30mph limit' as a warning.

picklsey 05:37 25 May 07

yes what you mention is a good deterant up here in ayrshire on a stretch of road we have average speed cameras they are about a mile or so apart.if i remember correctly there was a legal challenge about there use, i don,t know what the outcome was.i assume there not legal as know one seems to pay attention to them.

georgemac © 06:34 25 May 07

I agree the flashing signs are very good and people do tend to slow down when they warn them

I have seen average speed cameras at use during road works and they are extremely effective, you can't speed up and then slow down.

Both of these are more effective than normal Gastso's or a traffic cop with a radar gun who is really not there to deter but to catch speeders.

georgemac © 06:38 25 May 07

I forgot to add that we have several of the high blue cameras (traffic master) which I thought were originally for traffic monitoring but had the ability to measure average speed - not sure if this is the case

The average speed cameras I have seen at roadworks were SPECS cameras which worked well - speed camera type guide click here scroll down for details and pictures

Quickbeam 08:49 25 May 07

It's got to the point now, that with the ever increasing paranoia towards vehicle speeds, I would willingly accept a car with a GPS enabled speed governor. I believe this has already been trialled in Leeds. The technology exists... so we might as well use it.

georgemac © 09:25 25 May 07

I would be very reluctant to drive a car with this enabled - If a car is travelling at 50 mph and I want to overtake, the road is clear I am quite happy to accelerate to 70 mph (in a 60 limit) during the overtaking manouver to get past quickly and safely.

A lot of accidents are caused by frustration and drivers overtaking when they should not - limiting to the speed limit would increase this.

Also I'm sure a market would soon appear for overiding such a system.

Quickbeam 09:55 25 May 07

When I started driving ('72), it was an acceptable argument that exceeding the speed limit momentarily to pass a slower vehicle was OK.

This reasoning is out of the window now, as an active camera in the wrong position (from the drivers point of view!), just pedantically interprets your action as that of a crazed teenager with a death-wish. In the simplest argument regarding overtaking, if the car in front is at or around the speed limit... you're not being held up.

In '72 there were very few speed detectors around, the main way to be booked for speeding was to be followed by a Patrol Car (a what?), and be adjudged buy the Traffic Officer (come again?) as having committed an offence... such halcyon days!

I have no doubt that in my driving life time, the GPS control will happen. I believe that the insurance companies will make us consider it to be OK when we get massively reduced premiums offered to have it fitted.

At that point all the cameras, speed humps, chicanes, late night boy racers, etc will become redundant.

"Also I'm sure a market would soon appear for overiding such a system." Easy... all vehicles found with tampered controllers get crushed within 24 hours regardless of age, value or status of the owner in society, with a hefty fine pro-rata to your income!!!

Monoux 10:06 25 May 07

I bet M.P.s would exempt themselves from the measures quickbeam outlines just like smoking in enclosed places, House of Parliament, and the Freedom of information act. Much too sensible an idea by Quickbeam to be adopted

wee eddie 10:23 25 May 07

Boring but sensible.

I'm in the same area as "picklsey" and one of my friends was done for an excessive average speed. I reckon that they are safer than the Gatso type.

Several of the Local Villages have the Illuminating Warnings and they definitely work. Someone told me that they were Solar Powered but I am not sure of that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac