Where's that storm?

Forum Editor 00:24 04 Aug 11
Answered

Not a hint of a thunderstorm on our favourite storm-tracking site which means another night of unrelieved sweltering and little sleep. It's currently 75 degrees in old money outside my office window, and humid with it.

wiz-king 05:46 04 Aug 11

Agreed. So humid here it's raining now. Surrey @5.45.

Covergirl 08:10 04 Aug 11

Ominous bright orange sky this morning in the east, and a rainbow (05.45) due south followed by heavy rain (07.30). Cumbria.

The local weather forecast predicts a drop of 10 degrees C and "will feel mush fresher later".

Quickbeam 08:32 04 Aug 11

We had ours in South Yorks in the late afternoon.

5 or 6 huge spots of rain the size of tennis balls left us thinking that was it, then within 5 minutes an instant full-on monsoon force rain storm. The temperature dropped 8 degs C within 10 minutes, the rain bounced a yard back upwards, anyone out in it and more than 20 yards from a bus stop or the like to take refuge was instantly drenched with the force of a power shower, some continued to run when it was pointless, others just thought THE HELL! can't get any wetter, roads were awash with over filled drains within 2 minutes, gardens battered to bits, stray dogs ran for their lives, car wipers on full were not fast enough, my empty water butt was filled within 5 minutes and it was gloriously refreshing to stand in, in only shorts and a T shirt while the rain massaged you with the force of acupuncture pins!

WOW! Rain like that is amazing.

Mr Mistoffelees 08:38 04 Aug 11

Thoroughly soggy here in Somerset, been raining most of the night but, the oppressive heat and humidity are gone so not complaining. The last couple of days have been quite unpleasant here.

hssutton 08:48 04 Aug 11

Quickbeam

I think I will cancel my proposed trip to the wildlife park. Quite pleasent on the East Coast at the moment, although we did have a few drops of the wet stuff a few minutes ago.

morddwyd 09:26 04 Aug 11

Never realised 'til I looked at the FE's link that I didn't live in the UK!

Mind you, we get so few thunderstorms here in North East Fife (perhaps 5 in ten or more years) that there wouldn't be much to show anyway.

gengiscant 10:14 04 Aug 11

Whatever happen to summer? it has been sorely missed up here in Edinburgh.

Quickbeam 10:23 04 Aug 11

Summer was in April and May this year. They were on about reorganising the calendars again but were fearful of a peasants revolt if they didn't understand it.

Bingalau 11:23 04 Aug 11

I think the weather has been excellent this year so far. But I do wish the rain would only happen in the night.

johndrew 11:39 04 Aug 11

FE

".. another night of unrelieved sweltering .."

What will you do when summer comes!! :-)

Back in the days when our armed forces operated worldwide, personnel quickly became acclimatised by simply doing manual labour through the heat of the day. This made the (relative) cool of the night far more welcome and coined the expression 'desert trained' and similar.

Perhaps time to get out into the garden and .........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos