Where's the First Floor?

laurie53 12:18 08 Nov 08

Anyone else noticed how more and more you no longer see references to the traditional British usage of ground and first floor, but rather the American terminology of first and second floor?

crosstrainer 12:28 08 Nov 08

Yes. Also, the American aprtment blocks have no 13th floor (at least they didn't last time I was in New York) 11, 12 14!

Bingalau 12:42 08 Nov 08

Can't blame the European Union for that then can we? The Germans still use the "British" system but I don't know about the French, someone told me their ambassador to Britain won't even speak in English if they can avoid it.

wiz-king 13:19 08 Nov 08

Yes. it confuses visitors from the USA so we have changed out of politeness.(or watching too much US television!)

Clapton is God 15:11 08 Nov 08

"so we have changed out of politeness"

Cobblers!

May I just remind visitors from the USA (and, indeed, those still living in the USA) that the language you speak is English.

Now, I'm aware that it is a sort of bastardised pidgin English but, nevertheless, it is called English because it originated in England.

You follow our rules. Got it?

tullie 15:19 08 Nov 08

Its got nothing to do with speaking english does it!As a matter of fact the Americans spelling of words is a lot better than ours,ie color instead of colour,thats just one example,but nothing to do with the topic.

Clapton is God 15:27 08 Nov 08

"Its got nothing to do with speaking english"

Of course it has.

If, as wiz-king says "we have changed out of politeness.(or watching too much US television!)" it's a reflection of THEIR use of the English language and OUR (incorrect) perception that we should modify our use of English terminology.

Why should we change?

Or do you travel across England in an automobile or by railroad train, for example?

tullie 15:43 08 Nov 08

We arent talking about the english language as vsuch, but the terminology for floors in a building.

DieSse 16:35 08 Nov 08

In Spain the "Ground" floor is the "First" floor.

Seems more logical to me than the normal UK usage.

DieSse 16:41 08 Nov 08

I think you'll find "English" is the most bastardised language in the world, as it has roots in more than one base language, and imports from many more around the world.

That's why it has so many words, often two for the same thing, from different sources - and more words by far than other languages. And it's why pronunciations are so odd, coming as they do from different roots.

Diversity is in fact it's success.

Bingalau 17:18 08 Nov 08

We've had this topic before and I got the impression that we had decided that American English has stayed much the same as it was when they sailed on the Mayflower. Whereas the spellings of our version of English had changed in Britain..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…