Where's the catch?

SG Atlantis® 16:08 05 Jan 06

I have just seen references to Picasa from Google, I have Google earth too. How come it's all free what does google get out of it?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:23 05 Jan 06

There is no catch. Google make their money ($billions) from advertising links on their pages and from selling their search engine to corporates so that their staff can do company site searches. They are also very altuistic.

G

SG Atlantis® 16:40 05 Jan 06

if there's any ones word I'd take on this it's Gandalf's.

resolved.

pauldonovan 18:01 05 Jan 06

click here

Not everyone believes Google are as altruistic as Gandalf suggests. I'm not disagreeing with Gandalf just presenting a balanced view.

SG Atlantis® 18:18 05 Jan 06

they can store what they like on me, I read reviews on technology, I frequent the imdb, and look for ringtones and wallpapers and search things that I see on here and don't understand.

So now you all know how I spend my time on the internet, not very exciting.

Chris the Ancien 18:40 05 Jan 06

Another thought...

It was being debated on my local BBC Radio yesterday....

The government are going to use google.earth to see if people have 'undeclared' extensions or conservatories that may affect their community charge.

The debate seemed to be heavily on the side of this being 'big brother' and unwarranted intrusion. My view is that if you have nothing to fear, it isn't. And why should I subsidise other people who try to cheat other community charge payers?

One person was scared that they might be spied on a summers' day sunbathing in the back garden. I don't, somehow, think that google.earth is that high a definition image.

Cat among the pigeons seems to come to mind here.

pauldonovan 19:00 05 Jan 06

the government would have at least as high definition sources of their own.

Mind you, I did see an article on the register where a student from somewhere (bourmouth I think) was convinced he'd found himself sunbathing on the roof garden of his flat on google earth! They've really bumped up the definition available recently.

Sir Radfordin 19:10 05 Jan 06

The local council in our area has Arial Photos at 12.5cm so if they wanted to check on people who had extended a property they could easily do so without the need for Google!

Forum Editor 19:13 05 Jan 06

some classified US military satellite images that show individuals sunbathing in their gardens. Worth remembering when next you go for that all-over tan.

I had better not disclose my source or the locations in the images, or I might get a visit from the men in black.

Forum Editor 19:19 05 Jan 06

is in the mind of the beholder, and I doubt that Google is doing anything because they are all heart. Any business that rises in such a meteoric fashion deserves the credit that's due to it, but let's not think for one moment that Google became such a huge concern without having some incredibly profit-focused minds at work in those cosy, cushion-strewn rooms of theirs.

flaming 06:24 06 Jan 06

They might make a better job of it than the motley crews the world has at present. I expect CGHQ have a few files, too. The Google spying potential reminds me that the allies (well, the U.S.) were supposed to be able to do this sort of thing 20 or so years ago, zooming in on individual streets with 'Star Wars' technology but when it comes to it not a lot to avoid conflicts is spotted by anyone. I agree that there are no free lunches but people pay a lot now for continual mess-ups. I'll click the link when I've had some shut-eye, the better to wade through the media froth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…