Where to visit in the UK

VNAM75 20:37 14 Oct 08

I have 2 elderly relatives who have come over from Australia and I want to take them to the best places this country has to offer. I thought what better than to take them to the northern and southern most parts of the country - Scotland and Devon/Cornwall. We will do London later and then some historical/significant towns (Oxford, Cambridge?)

What are people's opinions on Scotland and Devon? I'm after 2 destinations. We're in Nottingham and it takes 6-7 hours to reach either destination. They're more into sight seeing than busy cities. We'd just taken them to Barcelona last week.

Woolwell 20:52 14 Oct 08

I would include York on the way to Scotland.

Which month?

In Devon try the Tamar valley and Tavistock. You can include Dartmoor and the Tamar valley down to the coast at Plymouth. But a lot depends on how active they are as Devon is quite hilly. It hurts to say this as I was born in Plymouth but you could also try Exeter.

sunny staines 20:54 14 Oct 08

in scotland Edinburgh is good [the castle, the mile, etc]. I spent last week in Ayr in west scotland house hunting. hardly stopped raining.

in devon torquay area is good, plenty of places to visit with good tourist info available.

sunny staines 20:55 14 Oct 08

they would like york agree with woolwell

VNAM75 21:00 14 Oct 08

Some good suggestions, thanks. York is a good idea as its on the way. We're planning to go in the next 2 weeks.

Woolwell 21:02 14 Oct 08

Sorry but I think that Torbay is a bit overrated. Barnstaple is quite good in North Devon.

wee eddie 21:14 14 Oct 08

Then St Andrews on the way back.

If your going south ~ Don't miss Bath

peter99co 21:16 14 Oct 08

Even Stratford on Avon

Woolwell 21:17 14 Oct 08

Agree with visiting Bath.

ray7 21:23 14 Oct 08

Definitely York, continuing to Durham, Tyneside,Northumberland Coast then on to Edinburgh.

jellyhead 21:39 14 Oct 08

After leaving York head to wards Newcastle and then follow the northeast coast, seeing Alnwick, Bamburgh Castle, The Holy Island of Lindisfarne (remember the causeway gets covered at high tide)and Berwick upon Tweed. Then you have Scotland. You would not be disappointed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5