Where have all the snow shovels gone?

rawprawn 10:59 09 Feb 09

We have had two of those cheap and cheerful plastic snow shovels for years,(The ones with the big brightly coloured plastic blades)but after the recent falls of snow they have simply collapsed because over the years the plastic has become brittle.
I have looked all over for new ones with hardly any luck at all & the cheapest I found were over £20. I bought the ones we have at a garage for less than a fiver.
Surely there must be some around, any entrepreneur could make them for peanuts and sell them for a fiver.
With this weather I am really suprised.

crosstrainer 11:17 09 Feb 09

..."any entrepreneur could make them for peanuts and sell them for a fiver."

Yes, as long as he or she is prepared to wait another 18 years for a sale :))

rawprawn 11:30 09 Feb 09

Forward thinking???

carver 12:13 09 Feb 09

Forward thinking???

Then you should have bought some new ones in the middle of summer when they were cheap.

I've just had a look on the web and see what you mean, some of those prices are just plain stupid.

One similar to ours is advertised for nearly £45.00, we bought ours for a tenner about 4 years ago.

natdoor 12:18 09 Feb 09

Proper snow shovels are made of formed plywood and have metal banding along the leading edge. I've had one for over forty years.

spuds 12:32 09 Feb 09

Lucky for us, we purchased 4 as a last years clearance bargain from either B&Q or Homebase. Not sure, but I think at the time, they cost less than £1.50 each.

Funny though, over the past few days, they have still remained idle in the outbuilding. Used the normal Spear and Jackson instead.But I have noticed a neighbour using the plywood method natdoor mentioned, seemed very effective.

rawprawn 13:51 09 Feb 09

"Forward thinking"
And there I was thinking I was fine with two in stock. I got the stock market wrong as well;))

spuds, do you want to sell one at a profit? ;))

crosstrainer 14:21 09 Feb 09

Cut you losses :)) the snow will end at the weekend. Then you will have to wait years to recoup your investment :))

rawprawn 15:29 09 Feb 09

If I can't get one I will have to hibernate, I suppose that is yet another way of saving money!
If I go on like this I shall be a rich man ;))

carver 16:01 09 Feb 09

But think of all the work you will save yourself and if it thaws it's all for nothing.

So sit back and wait until it warms up, and with the money you save you can buy yourself a set of snow chains.

rawprawn 16:06 09 Feb 09

Or even a 4 by 4! (Beamers hate snow)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…