Where do you buy your books?

Apron 06:23 19 Nov 06

May I ask you all to support the independent bookshops if you are lucky enough to have one. They are disappearing fast. What a pleasure to shop where the staff know and care about their stock in trade, they are booksellers not sales people. Spent a day in one yesterday, I now have presents for everyone on the list. We used to have one in Bury St Edmunds with lovely sofas for chatting and wondrous nooks and crannies for secret reading. Then came Ottakars. I am keeping the location of my new one secret for fear that the chains may invade.
Canyou tell me how to do that CLICK HERE thingy that leads to a web site, thank you.
Now I will go away until tomorrow morning and will be lost.

€dstowe 07:00 19 Nov 06

The click here thingy is automatic. Just put the full web address in your text and PCA will take care of the rest.

Example http:// click here

becomesclick here

I put a space in the first example to stop it forming a click here - hope it works.

€dstowe 07:01 19 Nov 06

No it didn't - try again

http:// www. pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=users.mainF&ref=go/discuss.allthreads/forumid/1 becomes click here

€dstowe 07:06 19 Nov 06

On to book buying - I used to enjoy the bookshops of Charing Cross Road but since moving out of London into the wilds of Sussex, bookshops are now a bit of a rarity. About the only one local to me is Sussex Stationers in Chichester, or WH Smith - neither of these is comparable with the type of shop you are meaning.

I tend to buy my books now from Amazon. There is little they don't have and if, by chance, they don't have it, they will get it for you if at all available.

Watchful 07:39 19 Nov 06

Waterstones as we don't have an independent one anymore :0( and sometimes ebay.

lisa02 07:58 19 Nov 06

Easons, waterstones and bargain books (great for kids) get my custom.

Forum Editor 09:35 19 Nov 06

I used to use bookshops, and still do if I see a secondhand bookseller with a decent history section, but Amazon is just so convenient. They have more books than any shop could ever hope to have, and they get them to your front door with an absolute minimum of fuss.

In our house it has become a regular habit to look in the paper recycling bin when returning home - that's where our postman puts the Amazon packages. My wife and I both buy books that way and we're running out of bookshelves - we thought the children would take them as they grew up and moved on, but they haven't - we have hundreds of the things. I've just done my Amazon wish list for Christmas, so here we go again.

Independent stores have their advantages, if run by knowledgeable and friendly staff, but all too often that's not the case.

The Brigadier 09:54 19 Nov 06

Sussex Bookshop & Stationers, amazon, janes publishing & local book shop.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:57 19 Nov 06

Amazon almost all the time. Indys are good if the staff know what they are talking about but so often, as in the case of indy computer shops, thay know jack. I prefer to spend 15 minutes hitting google.

G

PurplePenny 12:55 19 Nov 06

The original Blackwells, not the online shop. It is my local bookshop, being only a minute away from work.

I used to work for one of the Blackwell's subsiduaries in Oxford (The Paperback Shop) and we knew our stock so well that we could often say without checking whether a book was in stock, on order, out of print etc..

We also had to decipher the strange things that people asked for. One day a customer asked a colleague for "Paper is furniture' by Andrew Somebody" and without batting an eyelid she replied "Ah yes, "'Books do furnish a room' by Andrew Powell: upstairs in...."

My similar moment was "Do you have 'Roderick's Theosiphus'?", to which I replied: "Yes, you'll find it downstairs in the 'Reference' section under 'Roget'." After that we all started calling it by the customer's title. Even now, when I can't find the thesaurus, I will ask Kev whether he has seen 'Roderick's Theosiphus'.

spuds 13:14 19 Nov 06

Main independent and 'out of print' bookshop closed last year, due to retired of aged owner, and nobody wanted to take over business. Now its a case of Borders.

The only other independent left, is (for a better term) a 'black' bookshop. Main contents 'How to rule the World' type of thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…