Where did it begin for you??

csqwared 20:10 16 Feb 05

Apologies if this topic has been raised before but I've just been reading the current PCA mag regarding the Commodore 64 Direct to TV joystick, and Oh! what memories it revives. All that peeking and poking, shifting sprites, waiting ages for the tape drive to load your programme only to find it hadn't. I first started on the Sinclair ZX machine, moving onto a C64 (my first attempts at machine code on that machine) and then graduated to a C128 (and AMOS BASIC programming). I somehow missed out on the early Windows systems starting with W98 and still with it. Recently decided to have a crack at Visual Basic just to keep the brain active. What's your history?

cc

Dan the Confused 21:21 16 Feb 05

AMOS on the C128? I thought it was just the Amiga.

First computer was the C16 and used it mainly for playing games and BASIC programming, used to toy with the simple built-in assembler. Then got a Tatung Einstein with twin 3" floppy drives - wow! Did a lot of high and low level programming on this machine (BBC BASIC, Pascal and Assembler) and learnt it inside out. Then got an Amiga and used it for programming in AmigaBASIC and AMOS mainly as well as assembly language using Devpac. Learnt an awful lot from this machine and still love it to bits. Ok, and I played lots of games on it too ;)

Totally-braindead 21:38 16 Feb 05

First computer was an Amiga, great for games at the time. First PC was an Olivetti 486/33 running Windows 3.11. Bit of a waste really as it did hardly anything and after buying it I couldn't afford any software. Must have cost me the better part of £1000 I think, but its been so long I can hardly remember. I too was looking at the controller in this months mag, wish they'de bring out a Spectrum one, Manic Miner now there was a game to remember,

csqwared 21:41 16 Feb 05

Yeah, memory dims with age (mine not the DDR) - now I think about it I also had a 500+ which could have been the AMOS machine.

stalion 21:55 16 Feb 05

zx spectrum was my first and it had a modem but very limited resources, lots of good games though

Zak 21:58 16 Feb 05

Company long gone, I think.

Enjoyed programming in Basic changing screen colours in a loop and playing the Dragon Games software.

Kev.Ifty 23:21 16 Feb 05

Gosh! My brain is aching trying to think of the Commodore 64 programming i used to do.

I can recall spending at least 3 days writing a ST Valentines card in BASIC for my then Girlfriend.

There was various backgrounds, changing colour and various heart shaped pixels with our initials inside, floating across the screen!

Oh it was so romantic.... ;-) ( She is now MRS IFTY)

But does my memory serve, could you 'download' programmes, for the BBC Computer' Via Ceefax?

I'm sure this was a feature of that particular device.

Kev.

Demonstar_T 11:52 17 Feb 05

I also first started with the Commodore 64...
I remember having to use the counter on the tape drive to "acurately" fast forward and load the game I wanted.
Or having to use that screw driver and card arrow to callibrate the tape drive.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 12:17 17 Feb 05

Commy 64 first ever computer and yeah it was nice reading the article in April's issue. I just might be getting the new gadget.

Demonstar_T - lovely reminder about that darn tape drive counter!

bathjobby 12:22 17 Feb 05

Mine was before all of that; Clive Sinclairs first computer company was Science of Cambridge and they produced a 'computer' kit called the MK14 (just happened to be the companies post code I seem to recall). Eight digit led display, rubber hex keypad, cassett interface running at 8 bits per second. The proc had 3 registers, 27 instruction and had 256 bytes (yes bytes) of memory. I added some address decoding logic and had a plantery 4K of memory on mine; oh the user groups were green with envy..... Still got it bubble wrapped in the loft.

Stuartli 13:01 17 Feb 05

The original 48k Oric-1 in 1980 - still got the red and black Atmos replacement, complete with a proper keyboard rather than the horrible original rubbery ones, supplied after the first packed up.

Unfortunately SWMBO stupidly threw away the various cassettes of games etc during a spell of cleaning whilst I was away, including a special bug fix update cassette.

I won't repeat the words I used on my return...:-))

By the way there's sitll an Oric Appreciation Club in existence - or was a year or two back.

These links might prove interesting:

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…