When you literally wish you hadn’t got out of bed

spikeychris 08:41 21 May 05

Working on me laptop last night I started to nod off a bit so I thought I would go to bed to finish some work that I am miles behind. Only did a bit then fell asleep, put the machine on the floor at the side of the bed – woke up and stood on it. I now have a black spider staring at me that flickers in such a way that it looks like its winking.

Deep joy.

Forum Editor 09:24 21 May 05

Except 'There, but for the grace of God etc.' Many's the time I've worked like that, and many's the time I've parked the laptop on the floor - usually in hotel rooms.

It's only a matter of time.......

octal 10:47 21 May 05

Yes there is, its probably along the lines of "Oh deary, deary me, what silly person I am"

Dan the Doctus 11:34 21 May 05

I tend to just fall asleep in front of the PC, then wake up a couple of hours later and then go to bed.

Tough break spikeychris, hope you get it fixed soon.

spuds 12:23 21 May 05

I think most people have been in the same situation from time to time. Hope your laptop's insured and you have full back-ups!.

amonra 16:43 21 May 05

Try looking on EBay, one of my friends bought a good laptop screen quite reasonable. Not too difficult to swop.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:15 21 May 05

for me not buying a laptop. I often almost squash my cat in the night as he has a habit of sleeping on the floor my side of the bed.

Stuartli 21:44 21 May 05

I had one such day yesterday...

Got an e-card e-mail, apparently from my daughter, so clicked on the link.

Result, my wireless optical mouse froze almost immediately. Tried to initialise it again - no luck.

Keyboard then kaput. Dug out old corded keyboard and use keyboard shortcuts to try and find culprit and found Ad-Aware would not work in Safe Mode.

Did a System Restore. No joy. Eventually got Search and Destroy to work in normal XP mode and found something called GrokLoader, only second unwanted guest since first using Firefox and Thunderbird over past six or seven months. Got rid of it.

Mouse still would not work nor would its wireless keyboard companion.

Re-read manual and discovered that when initialising the mouse I'd not press the receiver button before initialising the keyboard - both were acquired a few weeks ago so had forgotten the procedure. Still no mouse use.

Then realisation suddenly dawned. In the gathering gloom, the mouse's normal red glow was missing. The Duracell batteries were flat....:-(

New batteries and I was away again. The mouse's demise had, it turned out, proved an amazing coincidence whilst clicking on the e-mail link.

VoG II 22:38 21 May 05

This, I suspect, is one of the side effects of inviting Mr Daniels to your house.

josie mayhem 22:43 21 May 05

The day the put a new manager at work. Now every day I go to work I wished that I hadn't got up, the only exception is every other weekend when she isn't about.........

spikeychris 23:40 21 May 05

Mr Daniels for once isn't to blame.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…