When I were a lad

Chegs ®™ 11:15 04 Dec 08

I attended school in all kinds of weather.Lastnight we were alerted that the Met Office expected upto 8 inches of snow and were were warned not to undertake unnecessary journeys.I woke this morning to find not a single snowflake visible,and nipping into town found the road under a foot of water.I arrived home to be told my daughters school has closed because of "black ice on the playground" Why not just "grit" the affected areas? If the school has no grit,then surely a a liberal dose of ordinary table salt(from the kitchens)could dispose of this "danger" in just a few minutes.According to the thermometer in my car,its also above freezing so any ice would melt pretty soon.I dont work so my daughter returning from school isnt a problem,but I know of plenty folks who do work and are desperately trying to arrange care for their children.

hssutton 11:20 04 Dec 08

Not only did we attend in all kinds of weather a lot of my school friends and myself had to walk several miles when the snow was particularly bad. Must admit to only having to walk 2 miles, but others had twice as far to walk.

Si_L 11:31 04 Dec 08

My old school used to close if it snowed, we would usually get one or two days off a year. The new headmaster moved in, and on the first snowy day, he refused to shut the school, and one of the teachers slipped and broke her arm.
He started closing it from then on.

citadel 11:50 04 Dec 08

I can only remember once when my school closed and that was when the heating boiler broke down. This was in the days when it seemed we got snow every year.

robgf 11:55 04 Dec 08

Years ago schools didn't close for anything. I don't remember my school closing for one day, during my entire school attendance.

The winters were much colder in those days and of course there was the odd broken bone from falls, but it's not a big deal, breaking something is part of growing up, in my case it taught me I couldn't climb trees like a squirrel.

People dressed for the weather, with big coats and proper shoes, or boots. Nowadays in freezing cold weather you see lads in T-shirts (yesterday I saw a chap in shorts!) and girls in summer clothes. They must be freezing cold and not very bright (perhaps because schools are always shutting?)

Any oldies remember bottles of frozen school milk, placed by the radiators to defrost. It was horrible, I can still remember the taste now, yuk.

johndrew 11:56 04 Dec 08

Are you all really suggesting that the health and safety of young children be put at risk by going to school in the snow and ice when they can stay at home to play on toboggans, have snowball fights, make slides on icy paths ...........

Goofyish 12:48 04 Dec 08

I think locally we must have the most un-reliable school heating systems in the country. Whenever there is a bit of cold weather you can guarantee that on local radio there is a list of schools closed due to heating breakdowns!

Seth Haniel 13:16 04 Dec 08

Didn't know they had weather when you were a lad :)

dagbladet 13:35 04 Dec 08

Ah, the old
'it was better/worse/harder/easier/colder/hotter/clip round the ear/six of the best/play out/climb trees/bread and jam/no mobile phones or playstations/made our own fun/respect the local bobby in the good old days' thread.

Not had one of these for ages.

dagbladet 13:35 04 Dec 08

Ah, the old
'it was better/worse/harder/easier/colder/hotter/clip round the ear/six of the best/play out/climb trees/bread and jam/no mobile phones or playstations/made our own fun/respect the local bobby in the good old days' thread.

Not had one of these for ages.

dagbladet 13:36 04 Dec 08

So sarcastic it came out twice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now