When is free..Really free!

spuds 10:55 19 Jul 04

How many times have you seen the word free, and then checked into the offer of whatever was free.
Is this word becoming far to easy to use, so as to entice people into a false world of something for nothing.

Over the last month or so,I have looked at many free offers,via the internet and junk mail etc, only to find that the free didn't really exist.

Your comments and experiences may bring to light some interesting points and views.

davidg_richmond 14:22 19 Jul 04

How do you mean that something wasn't free?

I work in retail, and have noticed that a lot of people either want money off something or something 'chucked in' for nowt, so I can see why the word free gets used a lot. Its an easy way to get people listening.

For instance, if I sold a laptop at £699 with no case people would want the case chucked in, but if I charged £749 with a 'free' case it would look more attractive to some people. Later, to look even better, I could drop the price to £699 without the case and say 'sale - £50 saving!', but the customer would then pay for the case.

I don't know if this is how the marketing departments of companies work, but it sure sounds logical if you want to get the sales.

Old Shep 18:18 19 Jul 04

Nothing in this life is free. One way or the other you pay for it. On the helproom forum people are saying AVG anti virus is free but I question why it is 'free' when I have to pay for McAfee.

Chegs ® 20:30 19 Jul 04

I always used Mcafee as it was included with my 1st PC purchase.When I upgraded my OS to XP,Mcafee (my version)wouldn't work in XP,so I had to change.I went for the free AVG version.Whilst I was waiting for updated drivers arriving for my hardware,I ran a dual boot with 98se,and about the same time a thread appeared in the Helproom with a link to test whichever AV folk were using.To my utter astonishment,Mcafee FAILED the test,yet AVG passed it without a problem.I have used AVG ever since.

Most software has a free version available,M$ Office = OpenOffice,Nero/EasyCD also has free equivalents.Windows = Linux,and so on.Just because its free does not mean it wont work,just because you bought it does not mean its going to be better.

There is usually a paid version of the free one,that includes extra features(ZA Pro,etc)

fen2u-195667 22:38 20 Jul 04

Well just a brief note on the term "free". As I am sure most are aware that to get something for free usually means somewhere along the line your paying for it. Granted there are the odd exceptions but usually you have to pay someone to find out they are free lol

fen2u-195667 22:39 20 Jul 04

Well just a brief note on the term "free". As I am sure most are aware that to get something for free usually means somewhere along the line your paying for it. Granted there are the odd exceptions but usually you have to pay someone to find out they are free lol

Danoh 22:54 20 Jul 04

No, I wasn't aiming to break forum rules!! BOGOF = Buy One Get One Free.

These are tried and tested retailing and advertising techniques, which includes package colouring which people associate with being cheap (sorry, inexpensive), exclusive, etc.

Much research, originally American, and proven by focus group trials and real sales patterns.

I must be getting old as I no longer get wound up by these tricks and only accept them as a fact of life in our mass market (FMCG) consumer society.

Dorsai 18:21 21 Jul 04

thats way i say, TANSFAAL.

There

Aint

No

Such

Thing

As

A

Free

Lunch

oresome 19:20 21 Jul 04

There are bargains to be had, but rarely when you actually need the product! I freely admit to being a sucker for a bargain and have a house full of unused items. So much so that when I actually need something, I purchase it again, not knowing that I already have one somewhere.

Belatucadrus 19:50 21 Jul 04

click here for freelunch.

Must agree though about the abuse of the word 'free', many times I've dug out a download that shows up on Google etc as free, only when you dig around does the fact that the free part is a time limited trial, 30 days doesn't qualify software as free in my book.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…