When did you get your first home computer?

PC Advisor 14:53 13 Nov 09

PC Advisor team members share stories of their first home computers - click here&

When did you get your first computer at home - whether borrowed or bought outright? Answer our poll in the left-hand navigation column, and share your thoughts on the results here

wolfie3000 15:04 13 Nov 09

Mid 80s here, With a BBC computer, then a few years later I had an Amstrad 1512 pc.

It wouldn't surprise me if the main bulk of answers in the poll will be around the 1980s.

canarieslover 15:10 13 Nov 09

1982 - Sinclair Spectrum soon after it was launched.

wids001 15:12 13 Nov 09

Can't remember the year but it was an Amstrad CPC464. I purchased it shortly after its release. Can't remember how much it cost either but I brought it from Dixons on their store card with astronomical interest. I remember just about paying it off when Amstrad then introduced the CEC664 (with floppy disc). I was tempted, very very tempted but decided against it. Just as well really because within a few weeks Amstrad launched the CPC 6128 - That I had to have and bought one on the same deal from Dixons, but this time with a green screen. I had decided that the green screen was all I needed as I was then using it for a datebase (Masterfile) and Word-proccessor (Tasword).

Happy days ... I must have had my CPC6128 for around 15 years. Over time I purchased all the add-ons - additional floppy drive, dot matrix printer. I even forked out an absolute fortune for a plug-in rom that doubled the memory and never could get it to work - what a waste of money that was.

It finally died when the floppy disc drives stopped reading the discs.

The Old Mod 15:22 13 Nov 09

Dragon 32 1982, then an Amstrad CPC 464 1984, after that Atari ST 1986, next an Atari STE 1989.

Then onto IBM clones.

octal 15:29 13 Nov 09

Mid 80's here as well, BBC B and added extra memory to 128MB Wow, thought I was the bees knees :)

octal 15:32 13 Nov 09

By the way, just remembered, it's still up in my loft, don't suppose its worth anything, so it'll be off to the local recycle plant when I clear the loft to put the insulation in.

Quickbeam 15:35 13 Nov 09

'97. It was a half decent spec (can't remember at all what though) on Windows 95.

I bought one when I realised how much easier it was to print photos compared to blacking out the spare bedroom one a month to do Cibachrome prints.

jaydoubleyou 15:36 13 Nov 09

ZX81, I think for my birthday in June 1982... then after 6 months of wobbly RAMpack fun I got a Spectrum for Christmas. That lasted a year or two before expiring (probably after being clouted one too many times when I waited 5 minutes for a game to load only for the screen to flash and '(C) 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd' to pop up...).

I didn't really bother with computers again until a) prices of IBM-style PCs came down and b) I could afford to buy one, so in 1998 I spent £600 on a Pentium 100 with 48MB RAM (originally 16, with an extra 32 added) and a 3GB harddrive, running Windows 95.

ventanas 15:39 13 Nov 09

1997 Olivetti P120.
I remember thinking that the 1.2Gb hdd was huge compared with the 40mb I was using at the office.
Also had 8mb memory and a 14" monitor.
It cost £1200, but I got five years out of it.

Awshum 16:05 13 Nov 09

Our first machine was a Commodore 64 and I was in Primary School when we got it. I think around P4 or P5 (maybe 8yrs old) which would be late 80's.

The first time I used a proper computer (c64 was just games off cassette) was at High School in 1994 which was a Mac Classic. Through my High School years the school allowed me to borrow one for home use. Didn't actually own my own computer til I gained employment and bought one which was an Time, I think, in the late 90's. Can't remember the specification or the exact price though.

In a generation or so topics like this won't exist. My children have been using computers since they were old enough to walk over and start bashing at the keys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant