wheelie bins and food caddies

kidsis 15:31 19 Sep 09

have some questions which I haven't seen answered in the press. (1) what happens about uneaten cat food. Does this go in the "slop bucket" as well. I'm sure my cat is not the only one that leaves food, and it is impossible to make them eat if they won't. (2) tin foil used for cooking. Obviously this can't be "used again", and I heard on the news that it will soon be illegal to put this in with the main rubbish. Where does it go? All of this worry is driving me round the twist and I am now sick to dollrags with recycling. What with the threat of fines, and gradually smaller wheelie bins you can't blame people for dumping rubbish. And I speak of one that was "recycling" before it became fashionable. But criminalising people for not knowing what to do (because we aren't told) should be a criminal offence in itself.

kidsis 15:32 19 Sep 09

sorry, should be "speak as one that" - shows how upset I am getting with it all.

interzone55 15:56 19 Sep 09

As the bins round my way are collected before 7 in the morning they have to be out on the kerb the night before.

This means that anyone can put rubbish in the bins. If the council tried to prosecute someone for placing "illegal" waste in the bins I'm sure a good lawyer would be able to get the case thrown out pretty swiftly.

Our council (Rochdale) accept cans, aerosols, jars, bottles and plastic bottles. The won't take foil, yoghurt pots or takeaway food trays, even if washed.

wee eddie 15:56 19 Sep 09

I am not going to answer your question.

However, if your Cat has food, un-eaten in it's bowl at the end of any 24 hour period, then you are giving it far too much to eat and it will become overweight, which is even worse, health wise, for cats than it is for humans

interzone55 16:09 19 Sep 09

Quite true, and here's a little snippet of info passed on by our vet this morning.

Don't feed your cats fish on a regular basis. "Just a treat at Christmas and Easter" were her words spoken in quite a sexy Russian accent.

It seems that new research has found that the small quantities of toxic and human waste found in fish is OK for for big strapping humans to eat, but can be quite dangerous for teeny cat tummies, and is probably the reason I've just spent the thick end of £300 on two nights hospitalisation after our little Billy had a pretty serious "gastric incident"...

kidsis 16:15 19 Sep 09

Alan, I hope your cat is better now. Ours has never liked fish luckily. What do you do with tin foil that has been used for cooking, or do you not use it?
Wee Eddie, I do know what you are saying. The funny thing is we don't give her very much, she just seems to have a small appetite. Sometimes she will eat what she is given and sometimes she won't.

interzone55 16:38 19 Sep 09

Our cat is much better, thanks for asking, he's now got to work extra hard to pay me back :-)

Another point the vet mentioned is that canned cat food is not good for cats either, luckily I buy the sachets from Lidl, they're pretty cheap and pretty much all our cats will eat, except the odd bit of left over salmon as a treat, which will now have to stop.

Foil, whether food trays or cooking foil has to go in the general waste bin.

Because our bins are only emptied fortnightly we was the foil trays and make sure everything is double bagged to keep the smells down. I buy the cheap food bags from Wilkinsons for bagging up leftover food and smelly off cuts of meat. They're 12p for 50 bags...

jakimo 17:30 19 Sep 09

"Don't feed your cat fish on a regular basis Just a treat at Christmas and Easter"

As your cat don`t know when its Xmas and Easter why not leave out the fish altogether(Did you notice I too can speak with a sexy Russian accent)

As for the recycling my council takes the waste for recycling yours don't,so in different areas theres still waste being dumped in landfill sites that being recycled in others,I thought there was a universal standard for recycled material,sounds wasteful.

interzone55 17:48 19 Sep 09

"I thought there was a universal standard for recycled material,sounds wasteful."

Different councils have different recycling facilities.

Some councils will take things like batteries for recycling, others just take the basics like paper and glass.

It's all very confusing, especially in locations where two different councils operate in close proximity...

Stuartli 22:22 19 Sep 09

>>Foil, whether food trays or cooking foil has to go in the general waste bin.>>

That, to use an appropriate word, is rubbish on the part of your council.

Aluminium (foil) was, many years ago, probably the very first and most easily recyclable product of all and our council collects it alongside tins, aerosol cans etc left out for recycling.

jack 10:34 20 Sep 09

of no longer of value to a user.
The council is obligated to collect this material as part of the contract between the resident and the local council - that is an element of the tax [fee]the resident pays the council for.

Recycling and presorting is a noble idea in practise in this country it totally flawed in the after treatment at the disposal depot.
Plain and coloured glass in different bins- good idea found to be inptectical in practice because of cross contamination - so it all goes to together and melted into glass fibre for insulation and similar.
Different types types of plastic- different collectors process limited amounts/types.
And so it goes on- Government/ccouncils expect evry citizen to me a metallurgist/ plastic phyist and have large amount of room and time to do their work for them- forget it.
Your rubbish is theirs to collect -
If you get a sniffy bin man - complain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…