What's your favourite website for saving money?

Production Ed 12:21 08 Oct 08

Compiling the Readers' Sites section of the magazine is always fun, but this was particularly true this time around; your favourite humorous websites caused so much giggling in the PCA offices that we were accused of shirking our work responsibilities. Thanks to everyone who recommended sites. It was a bumper crop, and we had a hard time narrowing it down to just 10. And particular thanks to WhiteTruckMan, our new Readers Sites champion – if you're around, could you make yourself known to a member of PCA staff?

And now for a severe change of tack. As fears for the state of the economy worsen, we want to look at websites that help you to save money, deal with financial worries and generally stretch your cash that little bit further. This is a potentially wide topic, so feel free to interpret it as you wish. We're anticipating professional financial advice sites and forums, special deals, money-off coupon sites and resale sites, but the only limitation is that it needs to be a reputable, above-board online offering that helps you to save money and whose trustworthiness you can vouch for.

As usual, we don't just want to know which websites you recommend - we want to know why. You can add your recommendation and reasons to this thread or email them to [email protected]. This is your chance to see your name in the magazine, and perhaps even win a great prize!

Thanks again,

David Price
PC Advisor

lisa02 12:27 08 Oct 08

Has to be click here money saving expert and click here voucher codes.

Of course Google to find the best price for things via search.

simonjary 12:29 08 Oct 08

MoneySavingExpert.com

click here

The site never charges to save people money, nor does it take any advertising. Any top deals, best buys, tips or suggestions on the main site are down to journalistic research from Martin Lewis and the team.

The email newsletter has tons of advice and collects various money offers from all over the place.

lisa02 12:32 08 Oct 08

MSE because it gives advice on everything and the forum section always has people posting the latest promos, offers and tips.

Voucher codes as they provide codes for trial and error discounts.

Google allows you to quickly check the price of something right across the board. I don't like price-checker websites as the tend to only provide selected companies.

version8 12:37 08 Oct 08

The one that has saved me £££££ is one thats been listed above.
But will list again!
click here

J Cricket 13:10 08 Oct 08

Not so much as saving money but getting more for your money... Pigsback.com is quite popular. It gives you PiggyPoints for interacting with its site and buying goods online. PiggyPoints can then be redeemed at the website for cinema tickets, money off at high-street stores, travel and hotels among others. You can even do the world a favour and donate your PiggyPoints to charity. The only problem is that you need to do your shopping through its selected retailers, whereas you might have otherwise gone elsewhere for better value. That said, it covers big-name brands, such as Argos, HMV, Apple's store, Dell, Currys and John Lewis.

donki 13:52 08 Oct 08

I will have to say Ebay, Ive saved loads on buying both second hand items and new items off the site. In my experience the customer is better than that provided by larger retail stores both on line and on the high street.

Also when your upgrading a component on the computer or small household appliance you can sell your older one making you that extra bit of cash.

Dont know if thats the sort of thing your looking for but thats the first thing that popped into my head.

dagbladet 15:59 08 Oct 08

Undoubtedly it would be spoofpiratesoftwarespoofdotcom. It's fantastic. You can get all the latest versions of operating systems, office suites, games, videos, music. All completely free. I can't imagine why people go anywhere else for their software.

Sits back and waits...

spuds 16:05 08 Oct 08

Not sure if this is what you want, but I'll give it a spin.

Ebuyer: Good range of goods and very reasonable prices. Customer service is way there among the best. Fast deliveries (usually) and possibly free.

Ebay: Vast selection of goods. Prices to suit ones pocket. Good complaints procedure. Possibility of purchasing from overseas, with safeguards.

Amazon: Good range of goods. Prices to suit. Good deliveries. Very good customer services. And of course the Market Place. Facilities for purchases abroad.

Choice Stationary:Good range at reasonable prices, and even better with promotional offers. Usually good and fast deliveries.

There's quite a few more, but I don't want to show favouritism :O).

rdave13 16:11 08 Oct 08

Myvouchercodes,click here . Saved a few bob with them and you leave feedback if some promotional code no longer works.

dagbladet 16:13 08 Oct 08

spuds

"I don't want to show favouritism"

I think given the thread title, that's exactly what they do want you to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…