What's the point in gun law

carver 09 May 13
Answered

What's the point in gun law when you can print your own gun enter link description here and the only part that can be picked up by a metal detector is the firing pin which is just a nail.

If this goes on-line you can't put the genie back in the bottle, it doesn't matter if it only lasts for a few shots, that's all the time to kill some one.

This could be a head ache for airport security.

csqwared 09 May 13

As has been pointed out before, the thing about guns is they need ammunition - control that and you solve the problem. Doing that does not contravene the 2nd amendment in the US and would, I think, solve a world wide problem.

wiz-king 09 May 13

It is on-line and has been downloaded 100,000 times but most of them wont have a 3D printer to make it.

Forum Editor 09 May 13

"most of them wont have a 3D printer to make it."

That's true, but it isn't going to be long before people overcome that problem - the printers will rapidly become cheaper, and there will be those who club together to buy one and start making cheapish, untraceable weapons for themselves and others.

It's a worry, and I imagine that the FBI and agencies in other countries are working to deal with it as far as the internet aspect is concerned.

carver 09 May 13

wiz-king when Staples are selling 3D printers enter link description here then I don't think price or availability will be a problem for long.

As for ammo, people do make their own.

spuds 09 May 13

Why do people seem to rant and rave about gun ownership, and the difficulties of owning or making a gun.

Guns are available, if you know where to look, or have the right material and knowledge.

This particular designed gun is just anther chapter in life, and its not going to change, in my lifetime at least.

interzone55 09 May 13

To be totally honest, I wouldn't trust a plastic gun printed on a 3D printer.

The plastic used in 3D printers has, for practical reasons, a very low melting point. It's pretty soft, and in low temperatures it becomes brittle.

In order for this gun to remain in one piece during the test I'd wager that it used a very low velocity round, probably with a much reduced explosive load.

This would be ok for a "Saturday night special" when used in very close quarters, but range and accuracy would be down to flintlock levels...

Mr Mistoffelees 09 May 13

"In order for this gun to remain in one piece during the test I'd wager that it used a very low velocity round, probably with a much reduced explosive load.

This would be ok for a "Saturday night special" when used in very close quarters, but range and accuracy would be down to flintlock levels..."

Right, so if threatened by someone brandishing a plastic gun ask him or her to let you walk away before firing. That should keep us all safe.

interzone55 09 May 13

Mr Mistoffelees

The victims of "Saturday Night Specials" are generally in possession of one themselves.

I'm serious, the range of these guns is so short you'd be in punching range, so they'll be less effective than a knife, and if used with any normal ammo would cause way more damage to the person holding the gun.

bumpkin 09 May 13

Would you want to fire a plastic gun made on a printer. I would rather keep my fingers.

bumpkin 09 May 13

I think that this technology is poles away from making anything useful at a cost effective price. No doubt I will be eating my words in in a few years time.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message