What's an MP worth?

oresome 17:03 11 May 09

No sarcastic comments please!

Moving on from the MP's expense row, I'd be interested in opinions as to how much an MP should be paid.

Compared with captains of industry, the PM and ministers are probably well under remunerated.

I struggle with ordinary MPs because I don't their workload, but do know that many have other jobs. William Haig for example is reputed to earn around £800k pa. For someone to pay him that sort of money, you would think they'd demand a fair amount of his time. How does he manage to fit in the shadow foreign secretary job and his constituency work as well?

Are they pulling the wool over our eyes? Do they have very little to do, or are they superhuman.

On the otherhand, can we attract the calibre of person required if we restrict their earnings to that of an MP's salary, even if it were to be doubled or trebled?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:18 11 May 09

Well, they pay members of their family £3,757.83. too much for a start....click here

G

john bunyan 17:30 11 May 09

They are not captains of industry - with some notable exceptions in banking these get fired if they don't deliver the profits. I think MP's and Ministers salaries should be hooked to a particular grade or grades in the Civil Service or judiciary and then they should automatically get cost of living increases as they occur. This could be assessed by an independant HR consultant. It should be coupled with a major productivity drive - no way do we still need the numbers of MP's and Lords we have now there is a EU Parliament and devolution "parliaments" in the constituent UK countries (At a guess, about 400 MP's and 200 lords !!The reason some are able to do other jobs is that there are too many of them!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:39 11 May 09

I know, let's get the view of an MP....'Week after week MPs have been turning up but with almost no serious work to do. There is the odd bill to be sure. But there is no legislative programme to speak of. Even the debates that are put on to fill in time are ones that deny MPs a vote. The whole exercise is vacuous.'..click here and you can click here and click on the 6th May register of member's interests that shows all the other work MPs do which makes interesting reading and judging by all the extra work, some must be well and truly knackered. On the bright side though, they have 18 weeks' holiday to recover.
Amazingly and this really puts it in perspective, I find the utter dross that Katie Price and Peter Andre have to say about their split more interesting than any hogwash that spews from the mouth of any politician. There is more embarrassment to come :-)

G

ened 17:48 11 May 09

"the PM and ministers are probably well under remunerated"

I'm afraid I disagree.

Take,as an example, our illustrious Chancellor of the Exchequer. He is so far out of his depth and hasn't a clue. Why should he be entitled to such a large salary.

Our PM appears to care more for holding onto power than making the right decisions for the future prosperity of the country.

It seems ironic the best PM we ever had used to shun pay rises and when asked if this sort of thing (fiddling expenses) went on in her day one of her ministers looked horrified and said "...we would never have got away with it under Mrs Thatcher!"

Stuartli 18:11 11 May 09

Many MPs have little or no real life business experience - often they are career politicians, often starting at council level.

It's only a week or so ago that the 22-year-old daughter of a former prominent Labour aide was looking to be shoe-horned into a safe Labour seat (if there's such a thing left now).

click here

Not much experience of what life is all about there it would seem.

Not many jobs either where the summer break alone is just under three months...:-)

ened 18:23 11 May 09

The problem is that what you say about 'career' politicions seems to also apply to the 'Tories'.

At least previous administrations have had the likes of Michael Heseltine and even Maggie Thatcher, whilst not having a vast amount of experience, still recognised that the Country needed to be run like a business.

If you can't afford it you can't have it!

John B 18:26 11 May 09

whilst this may not directly help with an answer to your question ... it's still quite informative.

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:36 11 May 09

Two-thirds of Tory MPs have second jobs, compared with one-third of Lib Dems and one-fifth of Labour MPs , so the poor lambs must be terribly over-worked in the Houses of Parliament and really deserve their 18 weeks holiday per year. How long will it be before the cringing apologists realise that they are being taken for a long, long ride? Be prepared for more cringing apologies.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:43 11 May 09

Well according to the link you posted, my MP 'Voted moderately for a transparent Parliament' and 'Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war'. My prayers have been answered with more ammunition for when he shows his snout at my door and he realises what it is like to have a vocal deafening. :-)

G

lixdexik 18:48 11 May 09

The MPs of this country are more than adequately paid, for the little they do.
It makes no odds what political persuasion an MP is, they all have their snouts in the trough.

As for ened’s suggestion that Margaret Thatcher was the best PM we have had
Margaret Thatcher is the reason we are up to our armpits in the mire. It was her idea that, to keep the best people we must pay the best wages. Well the people at the top have certainly paid themselves the best wages, but have been proven to be utterly incompetent at anything other than lining there own pockets, Maggie’s idea of all for me and me for myself, is why we are in such a mess.

Lixdexik

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…