What is wrong with these people?

newman35 14:25 09 May 08

click here

Even thought military dictatorships might have some heart in the circumstances! How many of the people is it going to allow to perish - and we are totally helpless.

lofty29 14:32 09 May 08

this is always common with totalitariun states, ie north korea, zimbabwe. the leaders are so afraid that any outside influence will bring them down that the welfare of the citizens comes very far down the line, they eventually crumble but as been shown time and again that the change can only come from within, outside intervention, such as with iraq will not achieve a lasting solution

rawprawn 15:42 09 May 08

I note the Burmese authorities have now impounded aid already sent, with the result that the UN has suspended operations. I am certain that this will mean more deaths and suffering at the hands of the military junta.

Legolas 16:10 09 May 08

Our democracy might be flawed but I know where I would rather live.

Forum Editor 18:10 09 May 08

The military junta is frightened that if it allows hundreds of western aid officials into the country some of them (the officials) will use the opportunity to encourage civil unrest, in an attempt to overthrow the regime. They're right to be frightened, because that's exactly what would happen.

In order to understand the appallingly callous attitude being exhibited by these people you need to realise that most of them have little regard for the loss of a hundred thousand lives or so - they see it as being a relatively insignificant event because they aren't affected by it on a personal level, and in any case they care nothing for the ordinary citizens of their country.

Burma has endured twenty years of economic sanctions from America, and the generals loathe anything with the stars and stripes on it - they will see thousands more die rather than allow american aid workers into Burma.

Thousands more will die, because Burmese military leaders are simply distributing food; as far as I know they are doing nothing about collecting the thousands of decomposing corpses that litter the Irrawaddy delta. If that isn't dealt with very soon there is going to be a very serious water pollution problem, and huge numbers will be at risk - over a million and a half people are currently struggling to survive in the area.

newman35 22:26 09 May 08

An insoluble problem, and life there is treated as nothing. God help the ordinary people suffering and dying because of the junta.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…