What would I have done?...

dagbladet 11:49 23 Jan 08

...I pondered after nearly winning £18-20,000s of goods.

It was a radio phone in quiz on a national talk channel. Each week a racing driver would give a brief description on either a gadget, appliance or 'experience'. Within his spiel would be some element of detail about the product that would constitute the quiz question. The question would offer two options as the answer, and one caller who had answered correctly would be brought to air to choose a 'key' (number from one to ten) to 'unlock' the prize. If it was the wrong 'key' the prize would rollover and another added the following week and so on. I switched on the radio in the car just in time to miss the 'sales pitch' but to hear the question which related to the engine size of the car which would be driven at Brands Hatch as the prize. The options were 2.5 or 4.5 litre. I thought that 4.5 was a bit extreme so was confident that 2.5 would be the answer. I have never, ever phoned one of these things before, but the quiz had rolled over for 7 weeks. The prizes included, the 3 day racing school incl accom, a top end Satnav, high spec Sony laptop, huge Plasma TV, two weeks in Florida for 4 incl flights , hotels + VIP passes to Daytona 500 and £1000 spending money, road legal 50cc scooter (Ferrari branded ala Schumacher pit bike), 2 x full hospitality passes to the Monaco Grand Prix incl flights and accom as a guest of Toyota F1. With only three keys remaining I thought why not? So duly rang, I got the engaged tone three times and on my fourth attempt got through only to hear "your call is important to us...blah...please stay on the line...blah". After about 3 minutes a voice came on (not the presenter) and asked my name and told me to turn my car radio off/down, twenty seconds later and down the phone line I hear the presenter announce, now we have on air 'dagbladet' who correctly answered that the car has a 4.5 litre engine" (nobody asked me the question!), "OK 'dagbladet' for all those fantastic prizes...choose 2, 6 or 9?", "erm, erm 9"....."ooh sorry wrong number, so next week we add another prize...."

What would I have done if I won it? I really don't know, what would you have done?

oresome 12:39 23 Jan 08

The problem being?

dagbladet 13:02 23 Jan 08

"The problem being?"

I never answered (or was asked) the question and if I had, I would have got it wrong.

oresome 13:25 23 Jan 08

Sorry, dagbladet, I meant it as a lighthearted reply as I'd have seen no problem in accepting whatever gifts they were throwing at me.

martjc 14:08 23 Jan 08

...and put you through to the presenter!? In that case, Iwould have accepted the prize with open arms. After all, it would have been well paid for by other phone-in candidates and you. The radio company would not miss it and you would have a nice prize.

NO CONTEST! They can afford it.

babybell 15:39 23 Jan 08

Yeah I would have kept it! I take it your referring to the Boot Full Of Loot on TalkSport! I've tried several times to get on their so consider yourself very lucky. If I'd have got through with the wrong answer and won the i would have said thank you very much, is there a cash alternative!

Stuartli 17:36 23 Jan 08

Seems to me that your "wrong number" was perhaps to keep the competition boiling for a little while longer.

I know one newspaper which had a Spot the Ball competition many years ago in which a similar strategy was used...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…