What were your first PC help sites?

Diodorus Siculus 11:26 23 May 07

Looking for something else, I found PuterGeek.com - I remember it from the late 90s when it was full of news; now doesn't seem to have been updated since 2002 :)

It got me thinking, what sites were your first port of call for PC support?

I also remember an email list called RebootMyPC with which one could email queries and the next day some responses would come back nicely moderated by some one or other. Now we get impatient if a result isn't forthcoming in 5 minutes ;-)

My first look into PCA was July 2001 I believe, when I had purchased a Multivision PC and had a small problem.

wee eddie 12:17 23 May 07

Advice use to come on papyrus, stuck into a cleft stick.

spuds 12:30 23 May 07

I think it was PC Advisor back in 2001. But as you say, some of the older sites no longer seem to be available. ComputerTroubles seems to be a recent addition, with many members of PCA contributing.

picklsey 12:53 23 May 07

strangely enough pca tried a few others but no where near as helpfull as this site.

after i set up my first computer, i had several questions, so i typed pc advice in the search bar and found this site. have since used many others but i love the atmostphere here. and have recieved no end of help, also use a nvidia forums, amd forums and gamers hell, but quite rarely as you always seem to get advice from the moderators only ie yes 105 degrees is within acceptable levels, and if someone dares to disagree the thread seems to dissapear!
i like it here!

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:20 23 May 07

Computing.net used to be my first port of call.

G

mammak 15:59 23 May 07

Computeractive I think it was called? but then I found PCA then later Computertrouble I tend to find myself back and forward between the two now don't Venture any further regarding computer help better the devil you know and all that :-)

Bingalau 17:09 23 May 07

Im didn't know there were any other help sites. I certainly am not going looking anywhere else now.

Forum Editor 19:16 23 May 07

champagne......

Probabilitydrive 19:34 23 May 07

It was 'Windows XP news group', where a 4 dimensional being explained me how the differentiation enginge morphed into the Van der Graaf generator.

No second guess whose PC exploded following his advice....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 23 May 07

So it wasn't the cave painting of a PC with the advice:-

1. poke with spear

2. bash with rock

3. if still won't work - bash with bigger rock

:0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5