What sort of society...

Al94 10:54 26 Nov 06

is our covernment rtying to create click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:56 26 Nov 06

They allow gaming machines in pubs and from what I have seen playing cards for money in pubs is an old tradition. No change then.

G

Forum Editor 11:51 26 Nov 06

are a heady mix — the more you drink, the less rational you become,” said Mark Griffiths, professor of gambling studies at Nottingham Trent University. “I’ve got nothing against playing poker but if you’re going to do it and drink heavily, don’t be surprised if you bet more than you thought you were going to bet. Alcohol is a drug and like any drug it impairs judgment.”

No kidding?

I don't know which planet Mark Griffiths inhabits, but it certainly doesn't appear to be this one.

Gaming and drinking have been companions for centuries, and legal in British pubs since the Gaming act of 1968, provided the stakes are 'small'. As far as card games are concerned, you may legally play bridge, solo, whist and rummy in a pub, provided the maximum win is no greater than the cost of a round of drinks. A fine example of good old, highly-precise, British legislative definition.

What sort of society is our government trying to create? Well in this case I think it's trying to create one that prevents people in pubs from gambling for very high stakes. The government knows that many pubs are running clandestine, high-stake poker games already, and it doesn't take an Einstein to work out that entrepreneurial pub landlords will look to cash in on the demand by charging 'sit-down' fees. This is illegal, but that won't (and doesn't) stop it from being rife.

What's going to happen under the new law is that betting limits will be defined and penalties for contravention will be stiffened. The thrust of this legislation appears to be to recognise the increasing popularity of pub poker, to legalise it, and to keep the criminal fraternity at bay.

If it succeeds it will contribute to a better society. Poker-playing is going to take place anyway - surely it's a good idea to try to legislate in recognition of a fact, rather than try to eliminate it altogether? There's nothing whatsoever wrong with Poker in pubs, as long as everyone approaches it with a degree of commonsense.

facepaint 11:53 26 Nov 06

I cannot fathom out this rush to-wards more 'fun' gambling.The odds are always against you winning.

I can smell a 'cash for more gaming' investigation on the horizon.

facepaint 12:00 26 Nov 06

With respect Forum Editor ,you could say that smoking goes hand in hand with drinking in pubs.But we will ending this long partnership very soon.

Forum Editor 12:03 26 Nov 06

What possible relevance does a smoking ban have to the introduction of revised gaming laws?

The smoking ban is based on sound health concerns, and is intended to protect non-smokers from the dangers inherent in breathing the cigarette smoke of others; your health can't possibly suffer because some people in the corner are playing poker.

facepaint 12:08 26 Nov 06

The health of the family back at home may suffer.
It is obvious that there will be side bets involved thus bigger loses.

Why are we all being constantly being softened up to accept gaming and gambling?

WhiteTruckMan 12:14 26 Nov 06

I dont know what part of the piece by (prof) Mark Griffiths you take issue with, but the part you so thoughtfully quoted seems so sensible and obvious that if you and he are living on different planets (based on that quote-else why quote it?) then I would rather live on his planet than yours.

WTM

Forum Editor 12:20 26 Nov 06

Because it's a fact of life, and one that brings enormous pleasure to millions. It brings misery to some, certainly, but is that a justification for banning it?

If it is, you might as well ban alcohol, tobacco, food, sex, and the national lottery.

A degree of balance is required when thinking about these subjects; If what you want is a life that's devoid of anything that could cause unhappiness to a minority, you'll risk making the lives of the majority that much duller. Most people can drink in moderation, choose to avoid tobacco, avoid eating to excess, and not indulge in unsafe sex. They enjoy what life has to offer, but not to excess. Let's legislate in their favour, and at the same time build in protection for the minority.

I think the gaming law revisions aim at doing both those things. Time will tell if I'm right, or if you are.

facepaint 12:24 26 Nov 06

I think you were dealt a bum hand.

Times up.I win hand down....lol

facepaint 12:35 26 Nov 06

More and much more obesity,much more STD's and very much more binge drinking over the last decade.
Are we living in the same country?

Why chance that gambling will be maturely handled any better than the above 'vices'?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos