What really winds me up is......

Daz35 15:56 13 Jul 04

when I'm showing friends/collegues/family something on my laptop or desktop and they insist on touching the TFT screen instead of just pointing at it.

I love having to clean the screens everytime I show someone something!

Grrrrr......

I feel much better now.

Thankyou and goodnight.

Djohn 16:08 13 Jul 04

especially if it's someone with sharp fingernails. Their fingers rush to the screen like an express train as you shout out "Don't touch the screen".

"I wasn't going to touch the screen" is always the reply" as the finger shudders to a halt micrometres from the screen. ;o)

Old Shep 17:32 13 Jul 04

I think this must happen to everyone. Is this your usual reaction getting it off your chest and going to bed!!! Drop more whiskey in the water might calm you down. Then again some bright forum member may come up with a better remedy for this problem.

Forum Editor 18:40 13 Jul 04

I shudder when I'm with a client, and he/she jabs a finger onto my laptop screen. I work with TFT screens on my desk now, too, and although I wouldn't go back to CRT monitors I do worry when a colleague starts tapping the screen surface (Ooooh look! the picture goes all funny when I press it).

€dstowe 18:44 13 Jul 04

Not only TFT screens. - Your ordinary CRT suffers as well but worst is the 54 inch plasma screen we have for client presentations. This acts like a magnet to prying and poking fingers.

Why?

Do people do that to their own TV set?

Of course they don't so, why should a computer screen of whatever technology cause them so much interest?

Rat Runner 19:09 13 Jul 04

Last weekend, I spent the whole of Saturday trying to set up my son's computer (without much success, I would add).

However, despite the need to have an operational system, his moan concerned nothing more tha the fact that I had actually "touched" his screen, and in consequence, it wasn't as clean as it should be!!!!!

Don

Forum Editor 19:10 13 Jul 04

is that people don't realise when their finger is about to collide with the screen - there's no reflection, and hence no point of visual reference. The finger hits the screen before the person realises what's happening, and it makes me wince all the more, because sometimes the collision between finger and screen is quite violent.

€dstowe 19:49 13 Jul 04

Most CRT monitor screens have an anti-reflective coating which, if marked with fingers is very difficult to clean away. In addition, this anti-reflective layer is not completely stable and, after a few polisihngs with glass or window cleaner, can can begin to wear, and in some instances chip, away.

With both TFT and plasma screens, the screen surface is delicate and easily damaged. Flexure of the surface, even by a light touch of the finger can cause distortion of the image. A poke with a finger such as the FE describes has the potential to permanently damage the screen.

I think there was possibly more to your son's reaction than being houseproud.

€d

Valvegrid 19:54 13 Jul 04

Worst when someone sneezes all over the screen and you're left with cleaning all the coloured spots off, YUK!

Daz35 20:19 13 Jul 04

Mmmmmmmmmm....

54 inch Plasma................

The things dreams are made......

(For me, not my wife!)

Daz35 20:20 13 Jul 04

The things dreams are made of.... (even)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…