What really makes your computer?

pchelper001 11:44 02 Nov 08

How do you make a computer your own? Personally, I step away from the likes of manufacture set backgrounds, and personalise it to my own tastes, and upgrade etc.

What sort of things do you lot do?! ;)

dagnammit 11:49 02 Nov 08

Remove the junk installed by them, then go about using it for intended needs.

Desktop patterns are competely irrelevant and so are OS colour schemes. You obviously don't really need a computer if you spend a lot of time faffing round with that sort of stuff.

Quickbeam 12:35 02 Nov 08

The only personal touch I do is to change the desktop picture when I take one I like better than the previous one.

Mr Mistoffelees 12:36 02 Nov 08

"Desktop patterns are competely irrelevant and so are OS colour schemes. You obviously don't really need a computer if you spend a lot of time faffing round with that sort of stuff."

Rather a sweeping generalisation there and a totally unnecessary criticism of pchelper001.

No matter what somebody does with their computer there is reason why the UI shouldn't be customised according to personal preference. Not doing so doesn't make you a "real" PC user.

Mr Mistoffelees 12:38 02 Nov 08

"there is reason" should read: there is no reason

peter99co 14:02 02 Nov 08

I have a background picture of a Traction Engine. This gets changed from time to time with others in my Photo collection.

canarieslover 15:17 02 Nov 08

I'm with dagnammit in the way I set up my computer as I want it to be as quick as it can be within its own limitations. If anyone else wants to modify their's I respect that, it's very much a personal thing.

wiz-king 15:26 02 Nov 08

I usually leave it 'as is' for a couple of weeks, just install my cable modem and anti-virus. I leave it running 24/7 during that time.
Then I start by removing anything in the way of programs I don't need, then I can copy 'My Documents' from the old computer renaming the folder 'My old docs'. This gives me all the odd downloaded programs that I use which are stored in a separate folder within it. Then I would install the MS Office suit, Photoshop and other disk based programs; shutting the computer down between each program. The last to be installed are the three printers that I use.

Lastly I sort out the startup menu and set the updating schedule for anti-virus and program updates.
After I have used it for a couple of weeks I might get round to setting the screen saver and desktop pictures - having said that I have had this one for a year and both are still on the blank default.

egapup 15:54 02 Nov 08

Me, i build and update all my own computers, so they're only as good as i want them to be.

crosstrainer 16:29 02 Nov 08

My own, remove all Microsoft images and screensavers, customise my desktop with icons arranged around the edges of the screen in group order of type.

I set my own background from either one of my own photos, or something I have found (currently using one that Wolfie3000 posted a while back.

No sidebar, no gimmicky tickertape junk....Just a functional way of working with my most used apps as shortcuts on the desktop...Been doing it the same way for years!

click here

WhiteTruckMan 16:45 02 Nov 08

except mine are only as good as i can afford them to be

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…