What a member of the Lords thinks of nurses.

Cymro. 16:07 29 Feb 08

click here

It this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

Cymro. 16:10 29 Feb 08

His best line is when he has the cheek to say
"But worst of all my Lords they were drunken and promiscuous," he told peers.

Monoux 16:11 29 Feb 08

He's a good case to back up the desire to abolish the Lords

Kemistri 16:11 29 Feb 08

As far as I am aware, Lord Mancroft is neither grubby, drunk, nor promiscuous. So I don't think that it involves any analogous kettles or pots! The hospital in question has not exactly been free of complaints in recent years.

Forum Editor 16:28 29 Feb 08

the expected outraged reaction from James Scott, the hospital's chief executive, who tells us that Lord Mancroft's comments have been "damaging and distressing", and that "I hope Lord Mancroft will now reflect on the damage he has done to the general reputation and moral standing of the nursing profession and the impact this has had on the 1,600 nursing staff at the RUH who are extremely distressed and upset at his comments."

Perhaps James might like to reflect on how "damaging and distressing" it might be to lie ill in a hospital bed and be treated as if you didn't exist, by two nurses who are discussing the previous night's drinking and sexual escapades across your bed.

I hardly think Lord Mancroft would invent such an incident, he's not known for his flights of fancy, and is no fool - he's been chairman of the Addiction Recovery Foundation for almost 20 years, is chairman of the Drug and Alcohol Foundation. He's acknowledged as being an expert on drug abuse in society.

For the life of me I can't see why there could be a "case of the pot calling the kettle black"

Clapton is God 16:39 29 Feb 08

I suddenly feel ill.

I'll try to secure myself an admission to Bath Royal United Hospital and hope to meet these promiscuous nurses. ;-)

Jak_1 16:58 29 Feb 08

For a supposedly educated man he has acted irresponsibly on two counts:
1) He should have lodged his complaint with the Sister in charge of the ward at the time or upon disharge from hospital. It would not have been difficult to identify the nurses concerned as they all wear name badges.
2) He should not have made the statement in the House of Lords where he would have known that it would be made public.

During the debate on NHS patient care Lord Mancroft said it was "a miracle" he was still alive".
That would depend upon what condition he was being treated for and the treatment he recieved. That was a crass statement to make!

"But worst of all my Lords they were drunken and promiscuous," he told peers.

A matter of conjecture! Did he actually see them drunk? What was their supposed promiscuity?

The man is clearly a buffoon, why wait 6 months before telling someone that he was unhappy the way he was treated in hospital.

crosstrainer 17:08 29 Feb 08

Agree that a complaint should have been made at the time regarding this alledged behaviour. The problem is many people do not complain. I waited 2 hours in a hospital pharmacy for a 2 item prescription. During this time, the pharmacy actually closed for a staff change, the pharmacist's and staff were behaving in exactly the way described, showed no intrest at all in the 60 odd people waiting to be served.

The location? a small cottage hospital perhaps? No, University Hospital of Wales...!

anchor 17:11 29 Feb 08

I have no knowledge of the hospital in Bath, but I feel bound to speak up for nurses in general.

Just over 2 weeks ago, I had to rush my mature step-son into the new Barnet General hospital in North London. He was seriously ill and seen withing minutes in A&E. He was examined by 2 doctors, and emergency treatment started by competent and sympathetic nurses.

After first being transfered to a diagnostic unit, then to a ward, he was at all times extremely well cared for by efficient and dedicated doctors and nursing staff.

I am pleased to say that after 2 weeks he has now been discharged, and is fully recovered.

Forum Editor 17:18 29 Feb 08

1. "He should have lodged his complaint with the Sister in charge of the ward at the time"

He was ill, and probably not feeling up to a confrontation.

2. "He should not have made the statement in the House of Lords where he would have known that it would be made public."

Why?

"Did he actually see them drunk? What was their supposed promiscuity?"

According to him he heard them discussing their drunken escapades, and recounting their sexual exploits. He said he was lying ill in hospital bed as the nurses talked across it "So I know exactly what they got up to the night before, and how much they drank, and I know exactly what they were planning to do the next night, and I can tell you, it's pretty horrifying."

"The man is clearly a buffoon"

Really? I suggest you take a moment or two to find out what he does and what he knows before making that kind of remark.

Jak_1 17:30 29 Feb 08

I stand by what I say. A lot would depend on what condition he was being treated for, that he has not made public, as to whether he was feeling too ill to complain. Putting in a complaint to a ward Sister is not a confrontation! The ward Sister would not want to see her patients being upset by her staff. Six months to voice a complaint, recollections become somewhat altered after that length of time!

He has not given a) The nurses concerned nor b) the hospital concerned a chance to put their side of things in their defence. So yes he is a buffoon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…