what a load of old rubbish - CRT monitors

Ewa 09:54 25 Jan 05

Some of you may recognise the title of the byteback note from issue 113, Ben Camm-Jones stops to think about recycling. One sentence in his writing moved me very much: "But soon CRT monitors will no longer be manufactured and thousands of offices, including ours, will be forced to replace monitors with shiny new flat-panels". This is on the background of writing about worrying amount of staff that became outdated in the old PC Advisor office. I simply do not understand why these offices will be "forced to", by what? Am I missing something?

spuds 10:41 25 Jan 05

You are not missing anything,they will not be forced into the replacement of CRT monitors, just another marketing conception of modern technology. Must have,gotta have culture.

€dstowe 10:51 25 Jan 05

My office will be retaining CRTS for a very long time yet.

Few of my staff find the CRT alternatives appropriate for their work. If they do get to the stage of no longer being manufactured (highly unlikely in our liftimes) I will make sure I have suffiecient stock to keep my business going.

Benn Camm-Jones, whoever he might be, should do a little more in depth research before he makes such pontifications.

plsndrs3 14:41 25 Jan 05

I agree with both postings above. I remember reading that offices would switch to towers as they freed up desk space [eh?] and that businesses would have to replace their PCs as processor speeds got faster.

The company I work for [huge multi-national] use 486DX desktops & they suit our purpose. Compaq offered some 'free to loan' 1.4 PCs with TFT screens, but IT saw little point in running up large bills for 'fashion statements'. Even the MD - who initially said that they should be used in the customer access area to "give the company the right feel" lost the arguement and so they were sent back after 6 months.

Another huge assumptive statement made from the eyes of people without their hands on the corporate purse strings in my humble opinion.

Sir Radfordin 16:36 25 Jan 05

Someone somewhere will dream up a reason why companies will be forced to get rid of CRTs. Be it the EU or some other H&S Executive you can see it coming. It is worth remembering that TFTs do have advantages over CRTs both from a long term cost point and also from the ease of use for many users.

TFTs in large open plan office/call centre environments really do may a huge difference to the working environment. Something that no doubt has an effect on productivity.

Pidder 18:15 25 Jan 05

Possibly a power consumption/heat output consideration may apply in the light of global warming?

Wilham 20:24 25 Jan 05

The reason CRT's will be phased out is already there. You cannot have a stream of electrons hitting a metal shadow mask without the accompanying emission of radiation.

An original agreement when colour CRT's were introduced was to limit the eht to 25kV. I suppose that is still there but after the recent caution with children and mobile 'phones I expect the present emission level from CRT's will be declared inadequate.

citadel 23:12 25 Jan 05

I sometimes wonder what people do with "the extra desk space", I am guessing it just fills up with other stuff.

ahales42 23:30 25 Jan 05

yup. beer, sandwiches,cigarettes, pens,paper,coffee cups(two of) and i now have my speakers up here too.

williamhook 12:08 26 Jan 05

CRT's are sooooooooooooooooo reliable, I will never use a 1million ms TFT...

Belatucadrus 12:13 26 Jan 05

In call centres they fill the extra space with people. The reduced system footprint permits smaller work areas and allows them to cram more people into the available floorspace.
A lot of companies use TFT in space critical or customer interface/reception areas. Other staff get CRT because then cost becomes the primary factor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…