What lifts your spirits music wise?

Stuartli 14:55 19 Aug 09

Most of us can recognise a familiar song from the first two or three bars, but what songs really lift your spirits if you are, say, stuck in a traffic jam or it's been a bad day?

In my case there are dozens built up over many years, but here are a few:

(Do the) Walk Of Life, Dire Straits.
Breathless, Corrs.
Dancing Queen and Thank You For The Music, Abba
Most songs from the Eurythmics
Same for the Carpenters
Answer Me, Barbara Dickson
Eloise, Barry Ryan
New York, New York, Frank Sinatra
Mercy, Duffy
Silly Love Songs, Wings
We Don't Talk Any More, Cliff Richard
You Light Up My Life, Debbie Boone
Whole Again, Atomic Kitten
Slow Hand, Pointer Sisters
Show me the way (to Amarillo), Tony Christie
Valerie, Mark Ronson and Amy Winehouse
Sitting Down Here, Lene Marlin
Dance the Night Away, Mavericks
Torn, Natalie Imbruglia
Most by Texas/Sharlene Spiteri
The Promise, Girls Aloud
Put Your Records On, Corinne Bailey Rae
A Moment Like This, Leona Lewis
Everything, Michael Buble
Love of the Common People, Paul Young

No doubt you've got your own favourites - love to know what they are.

interzone55 15:18 19 Aug 09

Far to many to list, and as I think I discussed on a different thread, my musical taste changes depending on my mood, location, situation.

For instance, if I'm at a gig or in a club, Cafe Del Mar by Energy 52 really hits the spot, as does Phat Planet by Leftfield (the music from the Guiness "Horses" advert)

In the car I like a bit of Northern Soul, or indie guitar music, so The Letter by The Box Tops or maybe Fools Gold by the Stone Roses

At home whilst reading a bit of quiet instrumental music is the order of the day, so Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells or Mojave Plan by Tangerine Dream are favourites (both on Vinyl for warmth, and to keep me fit walking across the room to change the record every 20 minutes or so)...

Stuartli 15:29 19 Aug 09

Thanks for the comments - they help to prove that music is one of those wonderful joys that can be tagged one size fits all.

Clapton is God 15:32 19 Aug 09

In spite of my Forum nickname, I enjoy a wide variety of music from the Beatles to the Corrs to the classics to jazz to folk to Andre Bocelli.

My current favourite is my elder daughter's boyfriend, Dudley Ross, who released his debut album last April - The Note that Told a Thousand Tales - an eclectic mix of rock, African rhythms and folk/rock click here and click here

He's due to release a 4-track EP at the end of summer (Even Rock Stars Have to Wash Up) which I'm very much looking forward to.

No apologies for the free plug for Dudley! ;-))

birdface 16:31 19 Aug 09

On telly today at 92 years young Vera Lynn and I think everyone knows her and our Favorite song.We'll Meet Again.I suppose some of the young ones will not know it.my Grandaughter is only 12years old and knows it all.

Bingalau 17:24 19 Aug 09

I've got a 10 x CD player in my car so I have ten CD's loaded up, on which I have put all my favourite numbers. They play at random so I don't know what is coming next. Most of the stuff on there is from the fifties though so it doesn't go down well with my grand-children. They always switch it over to there favourite radio station as soon as they get in the car. So I also get to listen to the latest rubbish as well. In actual fact I like all music except some forms of Jazz and those head-banging modern ones.

Stuartli 17:39 19 Aug 09

All interesting stuff.

But I really want to know are which particular songs seriously brighten your mood or your day, get your feet tapping and put a smile on your face?

sunnystaines 18:07 19 Aug 09

the heavy beat in rammstein helps with headache

Forum Editor 18:32 19 Aug 09

my musical favourites - in terms of specific tracks - tend to vary according to where I am, and what I'm doing. I burn a few compilations from my library, and play them endlessly in the car for a week or so before moving onto another batch.

Certain songs or instrumentals have that foot-tapping or singalong potential for all of us, but there are a very few that probably have a much wider appeal. 'Good vibrations' by the Beach boys seems to be one of them - I've been told by my children that it was very popular at university, as was 'High school confidential' and 'Summertime Blues'.

I'm a guitar fiend, so more or less anything by a decent guitarist is good for me, and if it's played on a resonator I'm definitely going to like it. Otherwise I listen to people like JJ Cale, Joe Bonamassa, Alison Krauss, Fischerspooner, Alabama 3, and a lot of others. Most of us are the same, I suspect - we listen to all kinds of stuff from time to time.

JYPX 19:46 19 Aug 09

Well I want music to move me, not cheer me up, so you have got me thinking. For example I have just been listening to the radio 2 programme about Kind of Blue on listen again (worth hearing)so after that I just had to put the album on - not in any way a cheerful sound.
So I think I would nominate USA Country acts - Trisha Yearwood, Carrie Underwood,Keith Urban (yes - I know he's an Aussie) And the soundtrack from The Boat That Rocked (Kinks,Who,Cream,Cat Stevens,Hollies,Hendrix).

laurie53 19:49 19 Aug 09

Bach's Toccata & Fugue, and Mars, Bringer of War, depending on my mood.

Crank the volume up and let it vibrate up through your feet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…