What kind of a scam is this?

GRFT 08:30 20 Sep 05

I've just received an email from a solictor based in the Togo Republic; he says he is acting of behalf of the estate of a namesake of mine who lost his life in the 9/11 bombing of the WTC. Since then he has been unable to trace any relatives of the victim and would I be willing to assist in the repatriation of the funds he left behind before it gets confiscated by the government. This amounts to $10.5M. He assures my cooperation would be most profitable to "both of us" and assures that there would be no breach of the law.
I'll ignore this of course, but would like to know what the point of it is. No money has been asked for.

jack 08:37 20 Sep 05

Are you aware of such a namesake and a relative?
No money being asked for?
Not yet- a few more wheedling E-mails along the line there will be if you play along- you betcha

g0slp 08:54 20 Sep 05

click here

All will be revealed...

Hamish 08:56 20 Sep 05

Almost the same type as others doing the rounds just now. My ones came from Bankers?. Not requiring anything just now but sooner than later if you respond, they will request you bank details. I just delete them.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:16 20 Sep 05

You have not heard of the Nigerian 419 scams????

G

Jackcoms 10:11 20 Sep 05

To a certain extent, you've answered your own question in your thread title:

"What kind of a scam is this?"

You've identified the e-mail as a scam, thus you take the normal action as with any scam e-mail - delete it, don't respond.

patsyanne 13:01 20 Sep 05

But do you think any one with a brain falls for these types of scams ? surely not .

GRFT 13:38 20 Sep 05

I had no intention of responding and I'm aware of all the scams originating in West Africa. It just seemed to be an unusual approach.

GRFT 13:44 20 Sep 05

Thanks for the link, gOsip; indeed, all is revealed.

€dstowe 13:55 20 Sep 05

I do know someone who fell for one of these scams - someone who should have known better, being a qualified accountant but, it is strange how greed will distort any rational thoughts when harge sums are involved.

Fred the flour grader 14:00 20 Sep 05

Edstowe....I am surprised it was an accountant that fell for it (not). Greed and accountant mean the same thing in my book.

Sorry in advance for the cynical view.

Fred

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…