What is it with games for windows?

mrwoowoo 20:49 09 Jan 08

Of all of the fairly recent games i have played,only games for windows games have caused me any problems.
Half life 2 episode 2,bioshock,medal of honor airbourne,cod 4,pain killer overdose and fear perseus mandate,all no problem.
Then i come to gears of war and kane and lynch.
Kane and lynch crashes to the desk top,although i have managed to overcome this but the sound problems in the game,oh dear.Sometimes no sound at all and sometimes no sound when shooting.
As for gears of war,that just kept randomly crashing during gameplay,so much so that i eventually gave it up as a bad job.
Either they need to get their act together or my pc just isn't compatable with games for windows for some reason. Hmmm

DrScott 21:03 09 Jan 08

the graphics drivers for your video card need updating?

That's probably the commonest causes for games crashing.

interzone55 21:06 09 Jan 08

I think that most games stress a PC to the limits, so even a tiny problem can bring the system to its knees.

As DrScott says, download the latest drivers for your graphics, sound & motherboard.

mrwoowoo 21:10 09 Jan 08

All drivers (graphics and sound)up to date and all patches.
Just wanted feedback if anyone else had these problems with games for windows as all other high end games have run flawlessly.

Devil Fish 21:46 10 Jan 08

the problem for games for windows are they have to be compatible with many different hardware and software configurations(console one configuration fits all) and yes they do suffer problems add to that some of the protection systems in use can play havoc with your system and the fact that their are some very poor console ports to windows it can have you pulling your hair out

you mention kane and lynch dead men which is a prime example of a bad console port unless you have an xbox 360 controller plugged into your pc. A friend of mine had no end of problems trying to configure the game as the contols were essentially xbox

Devil Fish 21:54 10 Jan 08

todays high end pc's/gaming pc's are more graphically advanced and more powerfull processing wise than any console on the market this hasnt been tapped by games makers yet

games at the moment dont even dent the processing and graphic power of my pc at the moment though i am sure this will change in the future

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…