What is it about computers?

rawprawn 17:30 06 Apr 06

My wife says I'm addicted/obsessed, I find that no matter how long I spend there is always something to be learned. They are like a giant crossword, never to be completed, but intensely attractive. Mine is turned on as I get up, and email checked after that it gives me great pleasure just playing about. Don't get me wrong, I am very active Walking/gardening etc but why are we attracted to this indefinable something about computers??

ade.h 18:17 06 Apr 06

Strange isn't it?! For me, they are both an interest and a tool, and as such, I can end up being a bit bored/fed up and I have to avoid going near one for a day or two. Which doesn't last long because I soon need to use one again.

Devil Fish 18:19 06 Apr 06

i think the thing that keeps us glued is a computer has no defind parameter that is to say you buy a hifi
to listen to music you buy a tv to watch tv and film a playstation for games and so on they all have a specific use. the pc however can be turned to many uses and the technolgy is constantly evolving at a very fast pace

and my own excuse i hide on it when the missus is watching tv i hate soaps

watchful 18:29 06 Apr 06

me about it rawprawn!

Totally-braindead 18:32 06 Apr 06

As far as I'm concerned Devil Fish has summed it up for me. In the past 3 hours in between watching a bit of telly, reading a book and repairing a model airplane I have backed up some files, created a new set of files from 5 or 6 others, listened to a bit of music, spent some time on this Forum, played a couple of different games, checked my emails a couple of times, tracked a parcel I've ordered and burned a DVD.

Now lets see you manage that on a Playstation 2 or an Xbox.

Computers are very diverse they can do so many things, sadly that is one of the reasons they get mucked up. What a shame you couldn't get a PC that can do everything a PC does but has the reliablilty of say a TV or a video recorder. But then if such a thing did exist what would we do on this Forum?

rawprawn 18:38 06 Apr 06

You know all about it, nice to see you again.

watchful 18:47 06 Apr 06

as a matter of fact, whilst dropping in here and there I'm also typing an autobiography in Word!

anskyber 18:53 06 Apr 06

Yes there is a lot in what Devil Fish and others have said. It is a complete window on the world if you wish it to be with the opportunity to get instant access or message delivery. I recently moved house and I would say that the speed the PC gave me for communication saved perhaps 2-3 weeks of snail mail and unnecessary visits to Solicitors etc. Incidentally I may have even lost the house in that time.
But there is also the facination of the inherent instability of the whole thing which brings pleasure when it works , frustration when it does not and the satisfying feeling of fixing it (hopefully) when it misbehaves.
Odd though this may sound but I liken the current state of play with computers to the early days of the car (no I am not that old ) when intrepid types needed a good degree of skill to keep this new modern whize going. These days a modern car usually just works and I look forward to the day when PC's do as well!

wolfie3000 23:11 06 Apr 06

Tell you what keeps me on my pc for hours on end

GAMES!!!!!!!!

Halo especialy i need a game fix at least once a day some may say that im sad for it but i do have other interests.

But i just love playing online games.

rawprawn 08:42 07 Apr 06

I am in entire agreement with your comments regarding the inherent instability, and also the analogy with old motor cars. Very apt!!

spuds 09:34 07 Apr 06

Its like a soldier going to war. The battles never won until you have conquered it. Bit like computers really, the challenge will always be there, even though (think) you have conquered it!.

Quote: A man's dream is never a dream, until the star as fallen from the sky.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…