What irritates me

tullie 22:47 25 Jan 07

Now this is probably an age thing,but i have been educated to use the english language.I detest people writing U instead of YOU,UR instead of Your,IMO instead of IN MY OPINION,etc,etc,the list goes on.Maybe text messaging is destroying the english language?

anskyber 22:51 25 Jan 07

Hi tullie, yes I agree.

At least in normal usage.
If folks want to save space on text messages I suppose it's a version of morse or semaphore. (for those who understand it)

Jak_1 00:08 26 Jan 07

Text language used in text messagages is fine. The problem arises when it is used when the full word should be written ie exams. When used out of context it says that the origininator 'can't be bothered' or 'has a low vocabulary'. A product of the modern world and teaching methods! The advertising industry does not help alleviate this phenomenon by using text language in advertising!

laurie53 08:36 26 Jan 07

I don't use text language much (at all!) myself, but I did see a comment that in some cases entering the text expression takes more keystrokes than the normal word

Laurie

thospot 09:06 26 Jan 07

I think computer language is the worse. There is still a lot of things that are expressed in initials instead of spelling it out and I haven't got the foggiest idea what they are on about. It makes it very difficult to learn..

Monument 11:59 26 Jan 07

The english language has been changing for as long as we have been talking. Much of what was said 500 years ago would make no sense now.

Why should we expect it to stop. Being destroyed? no, evolving? yes

rodriguez 13:36 26 Jan 07

I can't brong myself to use it. I've always written things out fully and it's what I'm used to, so if I try to use text language it just doesn't feel right. Anyway, who cares if the message takes a few seconds longer to write if you write it fully. :-D

spuds 17:38 26 Jan 07

I have owned a mobile phone for as long as I can remember. Ask me how to send a text message, and I wouldn't have a clue. But some people say that I speak sometimes in text form :O)

Kate B 17:42 26 Jan 07

The ironic thing is that it takes longer to tap out a text in txtspeak - predictive text makes tapping out proper words very fast.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 26 Jan 07

I struggle to understand some of the postings in the help-room.
Lack of punctuation, no sentences or bad grammar and worst of all too much text language can make a posting totally unintelligible.

Kate B 17:58 26 Jan 07

Me too ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…