What first brought you here?

Forum Editor 17:42 PM 20 Jun 11
Answered

Driving back to the office this afternoon I got to wondering - how did you first become involved with our forum?

I'm not asking when, but how - what first brought you to the PCA site, was it because you read about it in the magazine, heard about it from someone, or did you come here as a result of a Google search, or a link on another web-site? Perhaps you can't remember, it was so long ago?

If you can remember I would like to hear about it. I'm also interested to discover how many women take part in forum activities, but I do not in any way want to intrude on anyone's right to privacy - obviously there's no need to tell me if you would rather not; It's simply a matter of personal interest on my part.

CurlyWhirly 17:48 PM 20 Jun 11

I joined the PCA forum over 7 years ago when I first bought a copy of PC Advisor.

There was a link to the forum and so I registered.

I've not been a prolific poster over the years but I usually visit most days.

Flak999 18:32 PM 20 Jun 11

I was referred to this forum by my brother who was a magazine subscriber. That was over nine and a half years ago now, I think the combination of good advice and interesting discussion is what has kept me here.

Now that I am retired I browse the forum most days!

Forum Editor 18:37 PM 20 Jun 11

CurlyWhirly

Thanks. Your user-name is certainly one I remember from way back, and you're every bit as welcome as the most prolific poster.

chub_tor 18:42 PM 20 Jun 11

I registered with the Forum in February 2001 but it took me 2 years to make my first post, if the Forum records are correct. I almost certainly came via a search engine and back in the day my favourite was Dogpile although today I invariably use Google. For many years I was a PCA subscriber and bought occasional copies prior to that. Thanks to the advice I have received from this Forum over the years I have hopefully been able to help newcomers.

Taff™ 18:44 PM 20 Jun 11

I really cant remember but way back when I did I used to have the magazine so Im pretty certain it was from a link in there that brought me here. At the time I used to wait patiently for the magazine to arrive every month and had read it by the end of the day. Nowadays I pick up the info on a daily basis and buy the magazine when I particularly want something on the cover disc or if Im going on a long journey and want some reading material - theres always something I`ve missed online!

octal 18:46 PM 20 Jun 11

What a good question. I'm trying to think back when I used to use my old screen name Valvegrid which must date back 11 or 12 years. I think I must have been looking on Google for some computer related problem when I came across the forum.

It will be interesting to ask this question again in another 10 years.

sunnystaines 18:47 PM 20 Jun 11

from the PCA Mag which was a lot better back in the day 8 years or so ago, i was doing night school on computer building and repairs found the forum very helpful then. just never stopped reaing it.

a lot of the old regulars have either morped into another user name,found another life aweay from PCA or passed away.

Quickbeam 18:52 PM 20 Jun 11

I can't remember exactly why, but it would have been a PC related problem that would have been sorted by the membership pretty quickly. I was already buying the mag and reading all the various problems. Being new to PCs at the time it was all new stuff to me then. Now I don't read all the helproom problems so much, I read read the reviews, especially when I'm in the market for something new, and cause minor annoyance here...;)

rawprawn 18:53 PM 20 Jun 11

I came seeking help 6 years ago, SpikeyChris (great guy)helped me a great deal and I have been comming back ever since. It's a great forum where people not only help others, but are also sympathetic to members problems and frustrations.

woodchip 19:00 PM 20 Jun 11

And I think you cannot forget me, before you joined the PCA team. and it was the PCA magazine that got me hear, that's why I like the Help Forum, but as I said in another thread its not the same as was in the past as OS as become more stable and its easy to put things right if you have a problem using an Acronis Image. Hardware seems as if its got more reliable also. Remember China cannot remember the spelling of it but it will strike a cord. and flecc who moved on to bigger things. Wonder how old he is now and how he is copping. A lot of Water gone under the bridge since those days

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 3D food printer prints chocolate, cookie dough or pizza

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone