What does Linux need to do to get accepted

bemuzed 21:26 07 May 05

A few weeks ago I tried Linux. Seemd functional but far from user friendly. If only it had a GUIm for doing everything: like download programs and they install easlily,; plug 'n' play peripherals; in fact behaves like Windows. Why can't they do this?

Pooke100 21:37 07 May 05

It's ordinary people that don't know much about it, well in my social group anyway. I have been interested in Linux I have spent ages on the internet reading about it. But it all looks daunting and very complex to get to grips with. What's putting me off is that I know no one that has used or knows about Linux (they know what it is, just not indepth) so where would I turn for support? I only have one PC.

If anybody has any good links please feel free to share them!

DieSse 22:22 07 May 05

Use Lnspire - this version is much like Windows, except it's Linux.

It's fully GUI - no command line ever, unless you want to be techy.

Download and run progs just like you would with Windows. Logged straight into me boadbamd with no setting up.....

etc. etc.

Comes with included office suite, or download the new version of OpenOffice.

Basically it just WORKS - and I tried it out on my som and grandson without saying anything - they just used it, to surf the web, read their emails, do their documents, just like they do with WinXP at home. Simply had a comment - it looks different than it used to.

DieSse 22:23 07 May 05

PS, of course, click here

octal 22:35 07 May 05

Like anything new it takes time to get to grips with it, especially if you've been using Windows since the days of Windows 3.11.

The distribution I went for was Xandros click here it works and looks very much like Windows, in fact if a Windows user sits in front of it they will feel perfectly at home using it, like my son who uses Windows XP and he has no problem with it.

As far as applications for it, there is a huge database of applications that can be installed just by clicking on install from the Xandros database. Other applications not on Xandros database can be installed easily, for example, Firefox can be downloaded as a tar file, which is like a zip file, unpack it. To install it I just double click on the installer file like you do an EXE file and it installs, of course it can be installed from the command line as well.

Other applications require simple command lines to install them like ./install and make install.

I've been using it for 11 months now and hardly ever use Windows apart from playing my flight simulator on it.

It never ever crashes in the true sense of the word like Windows.

Sorry, I starting to sound like a salesman now, so I'll shut up.

octal 22:45 07 May 05

Incidentally, you can also install a large number of Windows programs on it like MS Office: click here you can probably do that on Linspire as well.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:27 07 May 05

They need to stop messing about with 5+ flavours of Linux and opt for one. They also need to rip their heads out from the sands and realise that the majority of users want a simple system that needs little or no user participation. Until then.....no chance.

Pooke100 00:09 08 May 05

I'd love a change, incidently I have paid for a fortune for games would they run under either of these linux OS's?

Generally I'm thinking that in a few months well be looking a second PC will probably buy it then instead of taking windows XP. Is there any more Linux versions like this? How would I know whats right for me?

bemuzed really sorry for hijacking this on you.

Charence 01:03 08 May 05

I think compatibility is a major issue with Linux (especially new products). My Mandrake 10.1 won't recognise my WiFi network card, and the driver CD doesn't have anything for Linux.

igk 01:24 08 May 05

"They need to stop messing about with 5+ flavours of Linux and opt for one",,I think thats called freedom of choice something that M$ knows very little about!

John-259217 02:14 08 May 05

Hmmm, so you want something that looks like Windows, behaves like Windows, runs software like Windows etc, I may be wrong but I think what you want IS Windows ;-)))

If not you could always try a live CD distribution. Most of these allow you to experience Linux without disturbing your Windows system (some do use a little space on the hard drive to store settings, provide swap space etc check the documentation).
click here for a page of links to just about all of them.

Getting Windows games to run under Linux is possible but its usually more trouble than its worth, involving emulation software which hurts performance. Unless a game is available ported to Linux (some are but not many) then Windows is simply a better choice for gaming.

Hardware compatability is a problem for various reasons.

Companies won`t develop drivers unless the demand is there.

That won`t happen until more people need them.

That won`t happen if they can`t install and use Linux with their hardware, -stop me if you can see a chicken or an egg anywhere here.

The Linux community does its best to produce drivers as fast as it can but it will always be playing catch up. Manufacturers generally won`t release full details of their products which makes things harder still.

Microsoft produce a product which is usable out of the box by virtually anyone. Alright it has its faults but its still very good for the majority, if you want to swim against the tide its going to take more effort, thats where the "cost" of Linux comes in, your time spent learning how to work with it.

If this sounds negative its not intended to. From my point of view Linux is fine but if you want it to be more Windows-like thats happening more and more rapidly.

If you try it then as they all say

have fun !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…