What do you use the internet for?

Production Ed 16:57 28 Nov 08

Hello all.

I'll soon be picking your brains once again for our Readers' Sites section, where we ask for your favourite websites in a given topic. This time I will be asking for your recommendations of holiday websites.

In the meantime, however, I thought I'd ask for suggestions of future topics for Readers' Sites.

What categories of website would you recommend: news, blogs, podcasts? Or to put in another way, what do you use the internet for?

(Other than enjoying the company of your fellow Speakers' Corner regulars, of course.)

Regards
David Price
PCA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 28 Nov 08

When I'm not on this site helping out,

Usually for research, info gathering for work or travel.

€dstowe 18:35 28 Nov 08

As Fruit Bat /\0/\. Almost all work related.

wolfie3000 18:37 28 Nov 08

Gaming,

Online gaming, blogging about gaming, posting in gaming forums and uploading gaming videos to youtube.

On rare days helping out on the pcadvisor website, in the gaming section of course. :)

Esc4p3 18:55 28 Nov 08

For me I use the Internet for:

General browsing of news stories, iPlayer, Last.Fm, posting on various forums, research, online shopping and price checking.

All pretty standard really....

chub_tor 19:04 28 Nov 08

I am finding that more and more I am using the internet as a form of communication. I started with email and still use it widely but I have found that the world of blogs is taking over some of that. I have two blogs of my own, regularly follow and join in via comments on several more. I am not into instant messaging but there are a couple of Yahoo Groups that I am involved with (In some ways these are also glorified blogs) and they allow communication with like minded folks. I am not into internet games, but I do listen to a lot of live radio - perticularly the BBC and a couple of stations in Texas where I lived for many years. Very occasionally I stream news video and audio from podcasts where I have missed an earlier programme.

Then of course there is the pcadvisor forum without which most of us here would be lost.

Si_L 19:57 28 Nov 08

Music downloads (legal of course)
Other forums
Shopping sites
Sports sites

Jim Thing 20:01 28 Nov 08

— Having weekly webcam chats with children and grandchildren overseas.
— Searching for information, mostly in connection with newspaper quizzes (the obscure clues in the Sunday Times 'Where Was I?' puzzle provide first-class Googling practice).
— Adding old school photos and other nostalgic stuff to my website, which serves a mass audience of at least twenty people world-wide.
— Learning a great deal from the PCA technical forums, and enjoying the civilised and well-behaved discussions about everything under the sun in Speakers' Corner.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 28 Nov 08

This could be interesting to sort by

gender and age

young uns using for shopping and games

old uns using for work related / research.

Curio 20:39 28 Nov 08

Obtaining information on things that interest me and shopping!

wiz-king 21:21 28 Nov 08

Blogging - I have four blogs in use at the moment - and finding companies who might sell things I need for work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…