What Is A Big Football Club?

Condom 20:46 29 Oct 08

I am always bewildered at what constitutes a big football club. We hear so much these days about who or who isn't a big club. In 1945 and 46 Pompey were perhaps one of the biggest clubs in England. When did they lose that esteem and what do they have to do to get it back again. I remember Liverpool in the 2nd Division in the 60's (I think) so what makes them a big club. Is it a money thing or a football thing? People call Newcastle a big club but why? Being Scottish I have no axes to grind but I'm sure their is scope here for a decent discussion without being too partizan.

Ranger 20:53 29 Oct 08

I would imagine it's history,stature,support and probably most importantly, sustained success

interzone55 21:29 29 Oct 08

Bury won the FA Cup twice in 1901 & 1903, and still hold the record for the highest score in the final (6:0 defeat of Derby County in 1903 click here)

I don't think even the most ardent Shakers fan would call them a big club now, even though they've had a decent start this season.

Forum Editor 22:53 29 Oct 08

and the fact that 'big' clubs usually have particularly famous players and/or managers associated with their name.

User-1229748 23:15 29 Oct 08

i would put support as the biggest indication (including so called armchair supporters)but then i support birmingham :o(

User-1229748 23:19 29 Oct 08

by the way,well done spurs tonight.

Strawballs 00:33 30 Oct 08

Ranger said sustained success so how can Newcastle be called a Big Club or to that fact Spurs in recent times Pompey has a better record than Spurs, but it could be that Harry is a Londener

Si_L 00:59 30 Oct 08

Current place in the league as well as factoring where they have been in recent seasons.

Eg, Hull are not as big as Spurs, but they sit on different ends of the table. And Leeds are bigger than any club in League 1 despite not being top this season or last.

laurie53 07:42 30 Oct 08

A big football club is one with a good press manager/agent.

interzone55 09:00 30 Oct 08

You've hit the nail on the head there sir.

Like a big star, or big company, it's the amount of good press that matters, so a few planted good news stories will totally change your profile...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac