What is the best option?

rickf 17:59 21 Jul 09

Hi,
My son is moving into a house with 4 of his student mates this Autumn. Is there a way for them to access the internet w/o having to activate a BT landline? Being first timners BT would charge them a fortune for a landline. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

John B 18:25 21 Jul 09
  John B 18:28 21 Jul 09
  Forum Editor 18:42 21 Jul 09

from their Network providers - mind you, it will cost a few pounds on the contract, and it's not exactly the fastest kid on the block. They can run them on a Pay As You go basis for about a pound a day, I think.

rickf 18:58 21 Jul 09

Thanks guys. It's sure something to consider. This way they would each be responsible for their own expenses instaed of the complexities of sharing the bill which could lead to problems.

Si_L 19:04 21 Jul 09

It might be worth actually checking how much BT would charge to activate a landline, it could be less than you think. It could also be more, but its worth checking.

Forum Editor 19:07 21 Jul 09

What you learn when you have children at university and they're sharing houses with fellow students is that friendship in the student bars can evaporate when one or more of the sharers doesn't meet his or her commitments regarding the bills.

My son had a nightmare experience when he put his name on the electricity account for a shared house at university, and when they graduated two of the sharers defaulted on their payments. I paid the final (quite large) bill, and then spent months trying to get money back from these people. In the end I gave up, which is probably exactly what they expected me to do.

rickf 19:23 21 Jul 09

Hi Forum Editor,
That's exactly what I am concerned about. Prevention is better than cure I think.

Hi Si_L,
I know what you mean but recently I learnt froma friend of mind whose sone was sharing a flat with another student and they, being first timers, BT wanted £400!! The line was already in the flat, it was just a metter of making it live.

rickf 19:24 21 Jul 09

Dear Oh dear. Read "matter"

Grey Goo 20:44 21 Jul 09

I thought it was about £150 to connect.

rickf 22:10 21 Jul 09

If I remember correctly it was for the deposit which pretty steep and the connection charge on top. Students can't afford that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac