What benefit would hackers achieve here?

CurlyWhirly 20:12 20 Oct 04

What possible benefit would hackers get by launching a DDOS attack against The Register website as explained at click here?

If the attack was launched at an anti-virus company or Microsoft itself I could then see WHY it was attempted!

Friday's Child 20:57 20 Oct 04

It doesn't make any sense to me but then such attacks never have.

Could it just be that they did it because they could do you think?

CurlyWhirly 06:45 21 Oct 04

You may be right as perhaps they did it for a prank!

g0slp 08:05 21 Oct 04

I wondered why I couldn't get my morning fix of 'vulture droppings' yesterday!

Gaz 25 18:34 21 Oct 04

provention systems...

My own webserver has been DoS'ed loads of times but my hardware firewall supports protection for it.

CurlyWhirly 18:55 21 Oct 04

Yes you would think that they would use some sort of hardware firewall to minimise these attacks.
I have just tried to get on to the Register Website a few minutes ago but I am shown "Website not responding (Error 502)": click here

They must still be under the DDOS atack.

spikeychris 19:19 21 Oct 04

To prevent all DOS attacks you would have to tie your server down to a state of uselessness, it would be pointless having it. You can set filters at the firewall on the DNS server and set policies
to only allow address's from a legit ISP and killing responses but if someone has enough zombies there is no way of stopping a DOS attack.

Dorsai 19:40 21 Oct 04

None i guess..

The same benefit some Richard Cranium got when he slashed both my kerb-site car tyres, together with every other car in the street, and the street over, a few years ago.

Forum rules prevent me from expressing my true 'appreciation' of his skills with a Stanly knife.

But i do remember an article in local paper about someone who got 'sent down' for slashing car tyres, some long time later..

Friday's Child 21:02 21 Oct 04

A prank could be the reason as CurlyWhirly suggests because some people have the weirdest (or most perverse) sense of homour.

I've been receiving the Register's newsletter for a while and they don't seem to be doing anything more to upset the virus writers /spammers than anyone else so, as you say, it really does not make any sense to target them.

But I've never been sure how it is accomplished. Is it done by loading a virus on people's PCs?

Re the tyres chap - was that the one in Dorset? he seems to have had some kind of hatred for car drivers and from what I read could have been a candidate for an asylum rather than prison! But then so could these people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…