What are they doing in this weather

Noldi 20:01 27 Nov 10

click here

As quite an experienced walker and some experiance in the mountains I can not understand what these people are doing at this time of year and current weather conditions on the Brecon Beacons. They should have an insurance and pay for this service.

Rant over

Noldi

egapup 20:08 27 Nov 10

Idiots, should be made to pay for the rescue.

carver 20:08 27 Nov 10

Personally I think they should be made to pay for this sort thing, in good weather that place can be treacherous at this time of year it's lethal.

Their sanity should be checked before they are allowed out, then make them take insurance out for this sort of thing.

It's not as if they have gone for a stroll in the woods.

dagbladet 20:16 27 Nov 10

When the Search and Rescue force becomes civilianised in the not too distant future they may well have to pay.

uk-wizard 20:49 27 Nov 10

That 70 year old man may have been a Shepperd tending his sheep. Most of them are out in all weather and have been so for years. I have been out there struggling in the bad weather and a couple of old people have trudged passed me and they made less hard work of it than I did and got to the pub first. Accidents can happen to anyone in this weather.
Some of the 'hells grannies' that you meet in the Lake District are like mountain goats!

Forum Editor 23:34 27 Nov 10

to refer to 'idiots', and condemnation of people who got into difficulties, all based on virtually no knowledge of the facts.

The reports make no mention of the circumstances, or of the relative experience of the 70 year old man, who was incapacitated by a leg injury.

As for making people pay for being rescued - what a daft idea. That would go against the grain with the members of the rescue team, all of whom are volunteers. The team isn't - as some people seem to think - a government organisation, it's a charity. It does receive a small grant from the government, and the Police provide some equipment, but the majority of its funding has to be raised from the community. Many of the people who are rescued do make financial contributions.

Jameslayer 02:12 28 Nov 10

Their are some very brave people out their.

Quickbeam 08:10 28 Nov 10

I've spent time on Britains high wastes since I was 16. Some of the greatest of Britain's beauty is only seen under these conditions, there's more to walking than all the Sunday afternoon round the park walkers think y'know.

AS for paying, should the elderly people that walk to the post office on pension day also get a rescue bill if they slip because they didn't wear crampons in the snow and ice? There is no difference just because some slip in the more remote parts of Britain.

carver 13:01 28 Nov 10

2 years ago my daughter and a friend were out on their horses on the moors, when they go on a ride such as that they have to inform at least 2 people where they are going and how long they expect to be.

While out on this ride they came across a 50 year old woman who had decided to take a stroll on the moors, she had slipped and broken a leg, air rescue had to be called because there was no way to get her down.

She had gone on the moors in a thin fleece, trousers and trainers, her mobile phone was no good because she couldn't pick up a signal.

If my daughter hadn't come across her she could have been there all night with no proper clothing and nobody knew were she had gone.

Now forgive me but that is an IDIOT.

VCR97 18:32 28 Nov 10

Many of us do have insurance, either as individuals or via our club.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…