We're reviewing ...the situation...your electricity prices will increase.

Aitchbee 07:52 AM 03 Aug 11

...surprise surprise! ...from 1st of August 2011. 'Important information about your energy prices' from ..Scottish Power - 'The Energy People'. 'My energy use for last year was 2027kwh (previous 12 months).' 'My estimated charge for same usage (next 12 months) is 381.82 pounds.' What are your electricty bills for a year. ( don't include gas bills) It's about a pound a day for me.

spider9 08:22 AM 03 Aug 11

You cannot just look at electricity usage on it's own.

You may only use electricity for house lights, and gas/oil for your heating, whereas I might have total electric central heating with no gas or oil bills. You would then have a tiny electric bill, I would have an enormous one - how could that have any meaningful comparison?

Aitchbee 08:54 AM 03 Aug 11

spider9 - ok. my equivalent gas bill is about 60 pence a day.

Covergirl 09:46 AM 03 Aug 11

Combined gas & electric was about £150/quarter. Most recent bill was £170 for April May June. Sorry can't separate as the bills are at home and this is from memory.

Aitchbee 09:52 AM 03 Aug 11

Covergirl - you are about the same as me 1.60 a day for Gas + Electricity.

bremner 10:26 AM 03 Aug 11

£4.30 a day - all electric (£130 pm)

Was very similar in old house with Gas and Electric - £120 -£130 pm

Quiller. 10:40 AM 03 Aug 11

£150 a month combined but are just about to get 12 solar panels fitted, for free, to a 20 metre south facing roof. This will turn the DC electricity to AC and will cut down our energy bills. :-)

Aitchbee 11:17 AM 03 Aug 11

To all responders:- I think the cost per day gives you a better idea of your daily energy costs. What you use is what you pay.

Aitchbee 11:23 AM 03 Aug 11

Dick Tattor - let us know how you get on with your solar panels. I would like to install some panels on my verandah which is south-west facing.

Aitchbee 11:29 AM 03 Aug 11

bremner - you are a relatively big energy consumer.(to me that is).HB

spider9 11:58 AM 03 Aug 11

But figures given in isolation are meaningless - one person may have a one-room flat, another a 5-bed detached house and so their energy use will be totally different, also there may be six people living in one and a lone tenant in the other.

There are so many imponderables to be able to sensibly compare bald electric figures.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know