We're all in this together you know?

zzzz999 08:58 27 Sep 10

Mind you, only fools pay their fair share; I think that's the mantra

click here

Snec 09:29 27 Sep 10

He should not have been allowed into the House of Lords but you can't blame anyone avoiding paying taxes if they can do so legally.

We all do - after all, why donate your hard earned to the government pot in order that it can be used to prop up the banks and the bankers bonuses or to support some ridiculous green project. Give it to the pensioners and I have no problem with that.

zzzz999 10:18 27 Sep 10

Sadly we cannot pick and choose what we pay our taxes towards. And, sadly we expect the Government that is attempting to con us into accepting the ideological destruction of the public service under the headings of 'cost reductions' and us 'all being in this together', to lead by example.

zzzz999 12:48 27 Sep 10

Lord Ashcroft thanks you for your gullibility. ISA indeed ha ha ha ha

spuds 13:14 27 Sep 10

If you have enough money or the brains to employ a good accountant, then so be it. The man was just lucky that he had a day to spare, and his kid's will most likely be that little bit richer.I bet others might have hesitated and have not been so lucky.

Joe Patel at the corner shop must be quaking in his boots :O)

Quickbeam 14:00 27 Sep 10

'Joe' Patel? Joe Bloggs yes, but Joe Patel just doesn't sound right...

Snec 17:37 27 Sep 10

At the corner shop? Bloggs or Patel? I can't imagine why you thinks spuds has got it wrong ;0)

Forum Editor 17:46 27 Sep 10

I'm not sure how you translate public spending cuts that will help us on the way to economic recovery into " the ideological destruction of the public service".

That seems like a particularly warped thought process to me. Perhaps you would like to try to explain how you got there.

Forum Editor 17:54 27 Sep 10

That's your view. Mine is that Lord Ashcroft did what the tax laws allowed him to do. The 'fool' if there is one might therefore be the law.

He broke no rules, although he hasn't endeared himself to those who believe there's something immoral in minimising your tax liability, even if you do so perfectly legally. It seems to me that there's a double standard operating as far as those people are concerned - nobody would bat an eyelid if my next door neighbour's accountant found a legal way to avoid £100 in tax, but if the amount was £10 million he would be deemed guilty of an immoral act in the eyes of the new government. It's all quite ludicrous.

wellshgit 19:10 27 Sep 10

When I worked in Saudi Arabia, as long as I spent less than 90 days in the UK, I was classed as 'ordinarily non resident' and was exempt from paying tax on my earnings. Since my contract meant I had approx 12 weeks leave per year, I simply took a couple of holidays abroad each year. I had an accountant to laiase with the tax man, and paid no tax for the 23 yrs I worked there. Would'nt anyone do the same?

zzzz999 19:12 27 Sep 10

Stripping £40 billion out of a frail recovering economy is not how you support economic recovery.

Some interesting reading here, setting out a series of alternatives that would not strip out billions.

click here

Fourm member, with regard to insults, you started it in your first post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…