We're all harming our planet with our computers

Forum Editor 13:54 23 Apr 06

but some of us are doing it more than others, it seems.

"If a million PC users switched to a more efficient power supply, it would save almost the equivalent of 250 million litres of gasoline a day."

click here for more on that subject.

Mr Mistoffelees 14:17 23 Apr 06

"If a million PC users switched to a more efficient power supply, it would save almost the equivalent of 250 million litres of gasoline a day."

So if one pc user switched to a more efficient power supply it would save the equivalent of 250 litres of gasoline per day.

Diesel and petrol/gasoline can release roughly the same amount of energy when burnt. My car will do 40 mpg on diesel, that is 2200 miles on 250 litres. So who are the people using pc's that waste so much energy? Where do people get thier figures from about pc power consumption?

Mr Mistoffelees 14:22 23 Apr 06

I am using a new browser, SeaMonkey, which as yet has no spell check.

Forum Editor 14:23 23 Apr 06

This will provide some more information:

click here

Sapins 14:34 23 Apr 06

I presume that what is meant is, switch to a more efficient use of power, unless some bright spark has invented a computer to run on gas, or petrol or diesel!

How much could industry save?

Should we all switch to small cars? no more Mercedes or BMW's. I think Silver deleting mice use more power as well ;-)

Forum Editor 14:42 23 Apr 06

(mine at least) are energy-efficient, and used relatively infrequently. Independent surveys have revealed that the amount of global warming that results from angry facial flushing amongst forum members who read inflammatory posts is equivalent to a million silver deleting mice being clicked continually for a thousand years.

wiz-king 15:15 23 Apr 06

But I will only change when the PC has an OS and programs that comes on almost almost instantly. When I boot my ancient Win 98 machine with open office up from cold I have time to make a cup of tea before I can start word processing.

My video recorder looses its clock after a few hours and whats the point of having it if it cant turn on when I want it to.

And, I like the idea of the central heating coming on 1/2 an hour before I get up in the morning.

I suppose I could creep down to the cupboard under the stairs to look at the meter for a hour in the dead of night to check the house consumption but then I would have to recharge the torch and waste more electricity so I will stay in bed and save energy that way.

Pidder 15:39 23 Apr 06

You know the old chinese proverb "man who stays in bed to save heating"...

Mr Mistoffelees 15:43 23 Apr 06

You didn't tell us there are 999999 other silver deleting mouse equiped forum editors out there busyly clicking.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:45 23 Apr 06

"man who stays in bed to save heating"...

Gets bed sores and many children.

Pidder 15:58 23 Apr 06

Pardon my ignorance, what are silver deleting mice?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…