Wembley roof- I thought it could close!

ripvan 23:46 22 Nov 07

Just a quick question about last nights footy.They played on a dire pitch in crap weather but the new Wembley has a very expensive roof that closes.Anyone know why it wasn't closed?

dagbladet 23:51 22 Nov 07

It doesn't close completely. It moves to allow sun onto the turf and then moves back to keep the rain off the punters. I understand that it can also be moved to such a position so that you do not get a shadow half way across the pitch, which is a problem for the TV cameras.

Acx 23:57 22 Nov 07

It's not a roof as such as it doesn't cover the stadium, just the seating areas.

Acx 00:02 23 Nov 07

Anyway, I don't think closing the roof would of helped us much. The pitch was in a bad state due to the American Football match played there about two weeks before.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:12 23 Nov 07

'The pitch was in a bad state due to the American Football match played there about two weeks before'...I may be wrong but I think the Croatians played on the same 'bad' pitch.

G

laurie53 08:48 23 Nov 07

The roof can only be closed when the stadium is empty, for safety reasons.

No this is not another H & S wind up.

click here

laurie53 08:53 23 Nov 07

"The pitch was in a bad state due to the American Football match played there about two weeks before."

That game was on 28 October, nearly four weeks ago.

The Americans seem to play/practice on their (mostly older) pitches every week.

Do they have superior grass?

bremner 09:13 23 Nov 07

As others have said only a portion of the roof is movable - 4 acres of the total 11 acres. It is not capable of closing. click here

The fact that the pitch was a ploughed field was blamed on the American Football. It clearly should have been relayed before such an important game.

Both teams had to play on it and it is a fact that the Croatia players did so much better than England's due to their superior basic skill levels.

medicine hat 13:23 23 Nov 07

Americans play on synthetic grass

dagbladet 14:19 23 Nov 07

According to this site only 10 of the 30 NFL stadia use synthetic grass.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:38 23 Nov 07

Both teams had to play on it

England only "played" on it for about 10 minutes in the second half.

:0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now