Welsh DTV Trial

Lettervanman 21:18 01 Apr 05

I was wondering if anyone involved in the Digital Television trial who sees this,would care to comment on how it's going.

DieSse 15:41 02 Apr 05

You mean you don't have Sky or Freeview?? - both are digital!.

Or is it something else you're referring to? - HDTV perhaps (High Definition TV)

Stuartli 17:17 02 Apr 05

It would be nice if the government offered to pay for all my necessary equipment as well in conducting such an experiment...:)

Or, alternatively, they were all found guilty.....

oresome 19:43 02 Apr 05

In our household alone there are 6 analogue TV's, 4 analogue video recorders and 1 analogue DVD recorder that would require set top boxes!

And still the majority of TV's and VCR's are manufactured analogue only.

wiz-king 07:48 03 Apr 05

think of it from the govenments point of view:-
loads of money fron renting out the airwaves
loads of VAT from you buying new gear
no cost to the government

that's three good reasons for starters.

Lettervanman 08:59 03 Apr 05

DieSse,I do indeed have Sky. I was refering to two Welsh villages where the analogue has been switched off, and the BBC has provided all households with set top boxes to receive the digital signal.This being the only signal now available in those areas.
I was just asking if there had been any problems, since we shall all be in that position fairly soon!

DieSse 12:18 03 Apr 05

Ah - understand now, it wasn't entirely clear form your original post.

Stuartli 12:45 03 Apr 05

I understood it...:-)

What seems to be being overlooked is that analogue TVs won't suddenly become obsolete overnight.

The Freeview/Sky digital set top boxes are a means of bringing in digital transmissions (more channels are available for a given bandwidth); the TV signals are then converted back to analogue so that you are able to watch the programmes.

oresome 19:46 03 Apr 05

"What seems to be being overlooked is that analogue TVs won't suddenly become obsolete overnight"

Oh yes they will!

The average life of a TV is around 10 years. The majority of TV's are still analogue only, not to mention VCR's and other ancillaries. The change over to digital only is projected to be completed well within 10 years.

When the analogue transmitters are switched off, these devices will cease to function.

Now you see it, now you don't.

DieSse 20:14 03 Apr 05

" When the analogue transmitters are switched off, these devices will cease to function."

No they won't - they will simply need a digiatal tuner aka set-top box.

Stuartli 08:54 04 Apr 05

>> Now you see it, now you don't.>>

But I do, I do - as does DieSse.....:-)

By the way an example of the first Nicam 21in TV that Toshiba produced back in 1990 (I paid £499.99 for one) served me well for six years before I replaced it with the follow up Toshiba model; my son has been using the original set for the past nine years and its picture and sound quality are still excellent.

Not bad for a UK manufactured product that's been in use for many hours a day for 15 years. The only reason it was replaced was due to the fact that Toshiba had provided a voucher to the value of the first set; if you bought a similar product exactly six years later you got the voucher sum off it.

The result was I had to buy two Toshibas (one a mono version) as the price had dropped to £379.99. So, for about £140 I got two brand new sets taking into account the £499.99 voucher discount.

The equivalent Toshiba Nicam set today is around £170.....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…