Welsh argument between mp and Welsh citizen

finerty 21:56 30 May 12

BBC News

Tory MP David Davies had a furious row with a radio phone-in caller over the teaching of Welsh in school but listen to Davis remarks on teaching Welsh in Schools

Quiller. 23:14 30 May 12

finerty

getting a 404 on that link.

finerty 12:04 31 May 12
  Woolwell 13:04 31 May 12

Good for David Davies. What an incredibly rude woman who only wanted to rant and not listen.

spuds 13:05 31 May 12

I seem to recall when a few years ago (you don't seem to hear much about it nowadays?), a number of week-end British owned properties were destroyed by possible Welsh people representing or supposedly acting for Wales!.

Going off subject, but our local government or council make a very big issue about languages, and helping to provide a translating or educational service for languages, especially of Asian origin. All the literature that they supply states this.

Yet when a friend of mine requested that the council customer services communicated with him in 'Irish gaelic', they refused, thought he was being stubborn and called security!.

daz60 13:47 31 May 12

spuds, I believe you refer to these Meibion Glyndwr,there was i believe a similar movement in Scotland in the seventies in which a 'leader' was mysteriously found dead.

I agree with fourm member that many in Wales probably do not wish to speak Gaelic but i do feel that in Wales,Scotland and Ireland it should be taught compulsorily.

The dominant language by conquest may be English but it is only courtesy to speak the language of the host country,as so many English complain of immigrants who do not ,even after many years,speak English in England.

I do think it a bit rich that Davies talks about "ramming" the language down peoples throats which is exactly what the English have done for centuries in pursuit of a stable and uniform union.

zzzz999 14:02 31 May 12

has anyone actually asked the Welsh if they wish to speak Welsh, I assume a lot of them would indeed wish to learn it. Its a beautiful language.

spuds 14:20 31 May 12

But isn't the 'Welsh language' already well broadcast. You only need to look at road signs, public sector buildings etc etc etc.

I have always stated that learning your mother tongue and any other language is a great thing in life, and should be encouraged with all opportunities being offered.

But what I do find very offensive, is people who want to become (in this case) British, yet make no effort to learn the language of the country that supports them. Yes there are excuses about gender, religion, but when you put your and your children's roots in another country, then you must be prepared to forego some of these past principals?.

Input Overload 14:47 31 May 12

I think maybe a vote might be a good idea if people feel strongly about this & find out if Welsh should be the primary language in Wales ~ Seems reasnoable to me.

I can only apologise though for being English & repressing people in Wales though - I had no idea I had ever done that. I rather like Wales when there either working or for pleasure. Although I must say I’ve always seen myself as a Brit rather than English, it even says so on my passport.

I am however pleased I don't have anger toward any nationality on earth to the degree the woman in question here seems to have. Most intriguing how the lady still has no intention of learning her native tongue at a mere 62?

Woolwell 15:19 31 May 12

I have some good Welsh friends but some of the Welsh can be really rude. They chatter in welsh in front of you, probably about you, knowing that you do not understand a word and sometimes this is when you are paying good money visiting their country. They can also be insufferable when they win at rugby.

The English have never rammed the language down people's throats. It has been adopted by many, in its various versions (including American), because it is the best. (I don't understand smileys otherwise I would add one.)

Condom 16:57 31 May 12

As a Scot who can't speak Gaelic married to an Irish girl who can speak Irish I am a little in both camps. I remember her translating the words on the Oban War memorial for me which were in Gaelic and when I went round to the other side found it in English and she had it 100% correct so the two languages are similar. I was also boss of a hospital near the Welsh border and so we had lots of stuff in the Welsh language as well as many Welsh staff many of whom were Welsh speakers. I learned a few phrases in Welsh but it is a very difficult language but I have no problems with anyone who wishes to learn it. It is very strong in the North and South but not so much in the middle.

I also spent 4 weeks in traction in Haverfordwest Hospital and I cannot say that the highlight of my day was watching Mr & Mrs In Welsh ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now