Well, I do declare

WhiteTruckMan 19:27 16 Apr 10

I think now is as good a time as any to declare my candidacy in the upcoming general election.

No, this isn't a hoax or a wind up. I genuinely have collected 10 signatures and stumped up 500 hard earned pounds and am now an official independant parliamentary candidate. I'm not going to name the constituency that I am standing in, save to say that it is the one that I live in. I also hope that if anyone has any idea which one they will keep it to themselves as I do not intend to campaign on this forum, even if FE would permit.

I'd like to point out that I am under no illusions as to my chances. But I aim to have a little fun on the way!

I'd also like to say that I'm running my campaign on a shoestring. Like to, but unfortunately I can't afford to spend that much :0)

More to follow.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

WTM

lotvic 19:39 16 Apr 10

Good Luck :))
Will you be claiming a petrol/diesel allowance if you get elected?

spikeychris 19:41 16 Apr 10

Employ a relative as a PA - flip your house and source a new one - kiss a lot of babies and please don't forget.... you need a big badge that says 'vote for change' - the badge will win it for you.

Get ready to be holding the launch codes..

Jim Thing 19:48 16 Apr 10

Convince people that the only fiddling you've ever done involved a bow and a violin and you can't possibly fail.

Good luck.

morddwyd 20:03 16 Apr 10

Good Luck? Luck?

I would not like to think that the composition of the next House of Commons was dependent on luck!

However, WTM, I hope you keep your deposit.

Unlike most of us you have put your money where your mouth is.

OTT_B 20:15 16 Apr 10

Good for you, WTM. Keep us informed!

dagbladet 20:40 16 Apr 10

I don't get it. What's the point?

Brumas 21:06 16 Apr 10

You have my utmost admiration however don't ask me to display a poster in my front window because A) it would frighten the neighbours and B) it is not that big so I couldn't fit both you and your hat in it ;o}}

No, seriously I wish you luck, you'll need that thick skin of yours!

WhiteTruckMan 21:09 16 Apr 10

The point? Well. Sometimes there comes a point when someone has to stand up and say 'enough'!

Behind all the political rhetoric the we have seen so far (and will be seeing lots more of in the days to come) no one seems to have realised that after the election we are likely to be governed by the same kind of politically minded people we always seem to be saddled with. I could continue this post railing about the expenses scandle, but you all know about that. But its also about the casual attitudes that they display when it comes to the public. The 'do as I say' type of thing. The parachuting of family members and cronies into safe seats. The list just goes on.

I genuinely think that those who can be bothered to vote are being driven however reluctantly towards the extremist elements of politics as what they see as the only viable alternative, even as a protest vote. And that truly frightens me.

So. Maybe I am tilting at windows (In the modern version *chuckles*). But if no one is prepared to stand up and challenge the very people who have - or are prepared to - driven a coach and horses through the democracy of this country that we should all love and know so well then we truly deserve every rotten thing that happens to us all.

WTM

Forum Editor 23:06 16 Apr 10

you say "But if no one is prepared to stand up and challenge the very people who have - or are prepared to - driven a coach and horses through the democracy of this country that we should all love and know so well then we truly deserve every rotten thing that happens to us all."

But you don't say how you are challenging "the very people" or saying 'enough'. Enough what?

Standing as an independent candidate is one thing - lots of people do it in a General election - but you need to have a platform, and some policies with which to seek to attract votes. It's not sufficient just to say 'I'm standing for parliament' and leave it at that.

You're right in assuming that you mustn't campaign in the forum, but telling us what your election platform is doesn't constitute campaigning, and in any case we're not your potential constituents, as we don't know where you're standing. You say that we are likely to be governed by politically-minded people, but of course we are - we've always been governed by politicians, and always will be. By offering yourself as a candidate you, too, have become politically-minded. If you have any intention of treating your own candidacy seriously you have no alternative. In a democracy it must be politicians who govern.

Forum Editor 23:17 16 Apr 10

that you are entitled to have one election address delivered free of charge to every household in your constituency by the Post Office.

You have to pay for the printing of course, and the Post Office has the right to refuse to deliver your address if it thinks the content is 'unsuitable', so before you get it printed it's a good idea to provide the nominated Post Office manager with a draft of the proposed leaflet. You'll be told when the leaflets should be made available, and how they should be folded. The delivery date will be very soon, so it would be an idea to crack on with the work.

I would be very interested to see the text when it's available, if you fancy sending me a copy via email.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5