Web Summit

Al94 01:57 04 Nov 14

Am I alone in thinking it strange that 22,000 people from 190 countries would travel to Ireland for a Web Summit? An "online" experience seems more appropriate. Click here

Forum Editor 07:21 04 Nov 14

Why is it strange?

The internet influences the lives of people in every country on the planet - our society would be in big trouble without it. People who work in the industry go to these events in the same way that others go to events staged by other industries - it's a good way to meet people and catch up on the latest research and developments.

Al94 08:59 04 Nov 14

I understand what you say, just initially struck me as odd that in the days of webinars and on line conferences that so many in this particular industry would physically travel. It's a huge income earner for Dublin.

spuds 09:16 04 Nov 14

"It's a huge income earner for Dublin"

Which can only be a good thing for some, especially if quite a bit of the revenue from that event ends up in the pockets of Dubliner's or the Irish economy.

But having said that, I wonder how much each individual attending the event have paid out of their own pocket or whether through an expense account, which perhaps someone else is picking up.

Woolwell 12:08 04 Nov 14

Networking between people and meeting new people is much better face to face.

spuds - I would be amazed if any at all are not on expenses. But why worry?

Forum Editor 07:33 05 Nov 14

"I wonder how much each individual attending the event have paid out of their own pocket or whether through an expense account, which perhaps someone else is picking up."

If you attend an event in the course of your work for a business then of course the trip will be on expenses - that's how businesses are run. As Woolwell says, why should that be a worry? It's a perfectly normal business practice.

spuds 11:11 05 Nov 14

"If you attend an event in the course of your work for a business then of course the trip will be on expenses - that's how businesses are run. As Woolwell says, why should that be a worry? It's a perfectly normal business practice."

I am fully aware of that fact. I used an expense account on many occasions in my working life, travelling the world. I was also involved with events and lectures, and know full well, that some of these types of events were treated more as jollies than anything else, especially if the end customer was paying.

If its going to help the Irish economy, then it can only be good thing. But if its going to provide a big financial gain for an events organiser and a few others who might be interested, then that might be a different matter.

Woolwell 11:28 05 Nov 14

spuds - An events organiser is not going to do it at a loss and should make a profit. What is always difficult to quantify is the gain made to an individual and/or their firm from attending events. It depends on how much they pick up and how much future business that they do as a result. I suspect that if you travelled the world and attended events in a business capacity then you know that.

spuds 11:48 05 Nov 14

woolwell

Of cause I know that, and that is why I mentioned what I did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…