Weather forecasting

Quickbeam 08:14 05 May 09

I have the BBC homepage set to my locale for the weather. I also have the Vista sidebar with the MSN weather set to the same postcode. Both of these have displayed contradictory forecasts for the last week. Why should this be so? And why should the MSN one be the more accurate of the two?

As I go down for breakfast every morning, I tap my grandmother's old barometer that's over a century old, and that still gives me an accurate forecast of the days weather, as do the many pine cones that I seem to keep picking up when I'm out.

Last year they predicted a the hottest summer in 30 years and we got the wettest in 300 years!

Is anyone else that actually like holidaying out of choice in this country, holding their breath at the news of 'It'll Be A Scorcher'...?

JanetO 08:30 05 May 09

The forecasters also said it would be a nice Bank Holiday, but it was cloudy and drizzly. The truth is they can't predict more than a day beforehand.

Woolwell 08:56 05 May 09

I use the Met Office's own Vista sidebar gadget which I find quite helpful.

It was once said to me that if you forecast that the weather will be the same tomorrow as today you have about a 50% chance of being accurate.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:01 05 May 09

"The truth is they can't predict more than a day beforehand."

Our geographical position does make our weather very changeable and give forecasters a particularily tough challenge but, it does not mean your generalisation is fair or accurate.

Pine cones can not predict, they only react to current humidity.

The best place to go for forecasts is click here and select your location from the choices offered. Forecasts are updated several times a day.

jack 09:08 05 May 09

Of these Isles -the preoccupation with the weather.
There is one certainty- It will be variable.
That is the joy- unlike the torrid regions or monsoon wracked areas- where in the main- they know whats coming-most of the time.

One well known trans Atlantic funny man commented on British weather- 'There they don't get weather- only samples.
It may be tipping down at home [sunshine forecast not with standing] and 20 miles down the road- the forecast sunshine.
Plan to go out for the day- its tipping down - a real damper on your entuziazm - but go any way-like as not the sun will out at your destination.

Simply appreciate the fact if you can appreciate the weather[or not] at least your are alive to do so

Chegs ®™ 12:05 05 May 09

I live in the Lake District,well named.I ceased referring to my locality as West Cumbria,instead I call it Wet Cumbria.I also care not what's forecast,as 40 odd years living here I know its going to be damp especially if I've managed to mow the lawn the day before or intend to mow it tomorrow.

peter99co 15:21 05 May 09

This tells us how the weather may change also whether the weather systems underneath them are likely to intensify or not.

click here

AL47 20:10 05 May 09

i also find the msn weather by foreca to be the more reliable than the bbc, but again dont trust it more than a day i advance

Kevscar1 21:37 05 May 09

it is impossible to do more than a general countrywide forecast because everything is constantly changing and moving.
I've stood at my back door in brilliant sunshine but walked to the front and it's heavy rain but still sunshine out the back.

laurie53 08:20 06 May 09

We live (most of us) in Northern Europe.

It rains.

Get used to it (or move)!

Quickbeam 08:23 06 May 09

I'm used to the weather, but why should different forecast agencies vary so much... I'll just open the window now to see what today's weather will be;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now