And we think we have alarming drug problems.

TopCat® 15:58 03 Apr 10

It takes determination and some guts to kick the heroin habit and it is even harder to do it the 'cold turkey' way, and harder still to stay the course.

These young Russians are remarkable in that they've succeeded and now turn their energies to helping other souls close to death's door. A very remarkable group indeed that deserve all the help they can get. TC. click here

spuds 19:03 03 Apr 10

The caring nature of some are far reaching and in many unexpected places, without any help from government or local authorities. And this is such a case. Here in the UK we seem to have Tzar's who offer very little.

It is more alarming that billions are being spent on supposed prevention, yet at the same time drug abundance is only to clear. Who do we blame for that. The poor grower, the slightly richer exporter, the dealer or the governments who are perhaps turning a slightly blind eye to events, yet at the same time implying that they are trying to control the situation. I would lay a bet, that there are as many people employed in drug control as there are in supply and manufacture.

In the report it was mentioned that booze played a big part in the death rates, and that fact is often published. Yet at the same time governments make vast amounts of money through taxation of this commodity.

Not far from where I live is a local government 'half-way' house, which accommodates families for approximately 12 month durations. At present we have a Russian family living there. Husband and wife in late 20's mid 30's with two children. On occasions the husband is found walking the streets in a slight state of drunkenness. This we are told is due to 'past experiences' that he suffered in confinement in his land of birth. The irony of all this, is that they seem a well educated family.

ronalddonald 22:25 03 Apr 10

I remember back in the 1990's there a television documentary where some drug addicts went to a bhudist temple. They were taken and had to eat rice and learn about the bhudist way. They had their hair shaved of.

Anyway to cut a long story very short, the bhuddist put them on their diet, these drug addicts vomited up their drugs and all kinds of garbage. They were as some people would say healed.

These addicts had their addictions broken for ever.

Þ² 10:13 04 Apr 10

Glad I'm not Russian then. HIV, Heroin or Alcoholism are the choices of death out there. Blighty isn't too bad afterall.

sunnystaines 10:27 04 Apr 10

just hope GB does not get in the same sad state

Cymro. 10:44 04 Apr 10

Someone needs to look at the drug problem in a new way. I don`t know what the answer is and I don`t think anyone does but things can`t be allowed to just go on as they are or we will end up the same way as this article suggests.

Perhaps, just perhaps some form of legalisation of drugs is after all the answer or at least part of the answer. A way must be found to take the profit out of the business for the criminals who now control the trade.

It is a problem that is well worth spending some money on. Just think how much it all costs us now not just socially but financially.

spuds 14:05 04 Apr 10

There is no such thing as a 'reliable substance' unless you want to believe certain celebrities who state that London drugs are better than Cardiff drugs.

And as for not crimilising people "because they can't resist the temptation". Why should they not be crimilised, because only to often we hear the same statements after someone as been robbed for drug money, that the addict didn't mean it.

I worked and lived in Colombia over many years, when the cartels had a very strong attendance, and seeing the misery that brought was heart-rendering for some. Yet at the same time there was international aid for prevention being pumped into the country, which made very little difference. I still have friends there, and in some areas it is still not a very nice place to live in, but I suppose like most things in life, you just get on with things and live with it!.

Perhaps another point worth considering, why is it that we only to often,see or hear of 'celebrities' who seem to appear very prominent in the drug scene, yet very little is done by the authorities?.

sunnystaines 16:27 04 Apr 10

are we saying that drugs should be sold over the counter in pus or in the same way as cigarettes.

advantages quality control no dodgy additives.

disadvantage would this encourage more use or not.

sunnystaines 17:36 04 Apr 10

pus = pubs

bremner 17:47 04 Apr 10

There is not a snowballs chance in hell of controlled drugs being decriminalised in the foreseeable future.

People should concentrate their efforts on realistic achievable solutions.

bremner 18:42 04 Apr 10

Even though I have decades of dealing with drugs, drug addicts and the consequences of drugs on others I do not claim to have a viable solution.

What I know is that decriminalisation is simply not going happen so is not worthy of debate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017